Thread: Import Failed when attempting to import Solidworks Model into AutoCAD

Login to Give a bone

Default Import Failed when attempting to import Solidworks Model into AutoCAD

I am trying to import an entire Solidworks project into AutoCAD. The solidworks files were made by someone else and I do not know the version they are using.

I am simply using the "Import" button in the ribbon. I can see all the files in the browser but each time I select and import it says "Import Failed" (See attached image).

The versions of CAD I have tried using are AutoCAD Architecture 2015 and AutoCAD MEP 2014 and I get the same Import Failed message in each. I have been given one .SLDASM file and 4 different .SLDPRT files and one .SLDDRW file from the customer and I cannot import any of them.

I am not at all familiar with Solidworks and my CAD skills are super rusty as I mostly am a Revit user.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Import Failed when attempting to import Solidworks Model into AutoCAD

I don't know that you can import the files right from Solid Works, can you get them to export to Step (.STP) files?
    And then you can import those.

If you have Autodesk Inventor, you may be able to do more and then export, not sure.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Import Failed when attempting to import Solidworks Model into AutoCAD

Attached are some screen captures from Autodesk help, this is the information I am going off of that leads me to believe I should be able to import solidworks directly. I have to go through some middle men to ask the Solidworks model creator questions so it may be some time before I hear back about the .STP file, I am also trying to get them to tell me their version number and file structure in case that may lead to a resolution of some sort. I also wonder if it may have to do with the versions of Revit I have available to me, if I knew what would be best for this I may be able to get my company to get it for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jgrabner View Post
    Attached are some screen captures from Autodesk help, this is the information I am going off of that leads me to believe I should be able to import solidworks directly. I have to go through some middle men to ask the Solidworks model creator questions so it may be some time before I hear back about the .STP file, I am also trying to get them to tell me their version number and file structure in case that may lead to a resolution of some sort. I also wonder if it may have to do with the versions of Revit I have available to me, if I knew what would be best for this I may be able to get my company to get it for me.
    Well I stand corrected, I didn't know that was an option.
    If you're bringing in a 3D model from AutoCAD to Revit, the version of Revit you have shouldn't effect your import from Solidworks to AutoCAD (my opinion, they're not directly related).

Anyway...

What we've done in similar cases is when we have an AutoCAD 3D model we want in Revit, we import that into a Revit generic model template and save it as a generic model.
    And then we place it in the Revit model.

Not sure if there's a better way but it worked for us.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Login to Give a bone

Oops I misspoke, I meant to say...I also wonder if it may have to do with the versions of *AutoCAD I have available to me...(I was working in Revit when I was responding and had it on my brain) since I have Autodesk AutoCAD and I am not really sure of the differences between Autodesk AutoCAD and just straight up AutoCAD or if there even is a difference nor if that would impact this type of import.

Login to Give a bone

Oops I misspoke, I meant to say...I also wonder if it may have to do with the versions of *AutoCAD I have available to me...(I was working in Revit when I was responding and had it on my brain) since I have Autodesk AutoCAD and I am not really sure of the differences between Autodesk AutoCAD and just straight up AutoCAD or if there even is a difference nor if that would impact this type of import.
    I'm running straight vanilla AutoCAD 2014, and I have the options to import the solid works files you mentioned.
    I don't know about other versions or verticals such as ACA etc.

It may be a version difference between the Solidworks files and your AutoCAD.
    Maybe you can get the to save "down"?

I know the STEP file works.

Login to Give a bone

Do you know if the STEP file bring in all the additional info that they might have in the project along with the model lines, like schedules and database points they might have associated with the project? (This is a description of what I was told could be in the file...I myself have never seen a Solidworks project)

Login to Give a bone

Do you know if the STEP file bring in all the additional info that they might have in the project along with the model lines, like schedules and database points they might have associated with the project? (This is a description of what I was told could be in the file...I myself have never seen a Solidworks project)
    My experience is no.. it's just a dumb 3D object, solids or 3D faces etc.

As far as Solidworks files coming in I have no idea.
    I can't imagine that transferring into AutoCAD though.