Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hide Grid lines in multiple linked models

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Hide Grid lines in multiple linked models

I have 4 different models linked into my model that each have different locations of the grid bubbles in various views. Does anyone know of a way to turn off the grid lines in all views in the models I'm linking into my model? Attached is a PDF showing the problem I'm facing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Hide Grid lines in multiple linked models

Hopefully the linked files are "workset"ed
    if before Revit 2011, "reload from" the link, instead of hitting the "open" button, use the pull down beside it and ensure 'specify" is ticked. Then it will come up with a workset dialog box - 'Close" Shared levels and Grids"

Cant remember what to do in 2011 and havent got it in front of me, but I think its similar

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

This sounds like a job for a good view template.

On our file, we have several consultant models linked in. We have a view template called something like "zz RVT Links." All it does is turn off the annotation categories for each of the loaded links.

Let me know if you need more info.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by saeborne View Post
    This sounds like a job for a good view template.

On our file, we have several consultant models linked in. We have a view template called something like "zz RVT Links." All it does is turn off the annotation categories for each of the loaded links.

Let me know if you need more info.
    Yup, we do the same thing. No way id be using Consultants Worksets for visibility. I wont even use ours for that.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Hide Grid lines in multiple linked models

Hi,
    try these process if not solved yet..
    1..hit VG or VV
    2.click Revit Links
    3.under Display Setting by default is " By Host View" click and modify that one into custom.
    4.then click the annotation categories change the browser beneath to custom coz it appears a host view.
    5.try to uncheck the grids.
    6.apply
    7.ok

i hope these will help you...

rSa

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rickysalmasan View Post
    Hi,
    1..hit VG or VV
    2.click Revit Links
    3.under Display Setting by default is " By Host View" click and modify that one into custom.
    4.then click the annotation categories change the browser beneath to custom coz it appears a host view.
    6.apply
    7.ok

rSa
    Yep, that will work but its going to take forever doing one view at a time this way. A view template is definitely the way to go.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rickysalmasan View Post
    Hi,
    1..hit VG or VV
    2.click Revit Links
    6.apply
    7.ok

rSa
    Get one view set up the way you want it, create a view template from that view, and then Shift or Ctrl-Click all your other views and apply that view template. Very quick and easy.

Login to Give a bone

I see no issue with using Worksets in this case for visibility control. Been doing that for a few years. Yes, takes discipline and is a bit frustrating to get everyone on the same page, but it's quite simple to understand. I didn't do this on Grids but on Levels. I had consultants and in-house structural create a "Levels" workset and place all levels on it. When linking, the teams would not load that workset (or in 2011, just turn visibility off globally). Works like a charm and there's no maintenance required if you simply reload the links when new versions are received.

Also, make sure you understand that the Shared Levels and Grids workset will NOT have all levels and grids on it, but only those levels and grids that existed prior to enabling worksharing on that project. Personally, I merge that workset with the other one and rename to something else, like "Modeling Elements". Then create new worksets as desired.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino View Post
    Also, make sure you understand that the Shared Levels and Grids workset will NOT have all levels and grids on it, but only those levels and grids that existed prior to enabling worksharing on that project.
    It will if you remember to switch to the SL&G workset prior to creating a new level or grid.

I'm in a project now that has 20+ levels and over 50 grid lines, only some of which existed before enabling worksets, and all levels and grids are definitely on the SL&G workset.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino View Post
    I see no issue with using Worksets in this case for visibility control. Been doing that for a few years. Yes, takes discipline and is a bit frustrating to get everyone on the same page, but it's quite simple to understand. I didn't do this on Grids but on Levels. I had consultants and in-house structural create a "Levels" workset and place all levels on it. When linking, the teams would not load that workset (or in 2011, just turn visibility off globally). Works like a charm and there's no maintenance required if you simply reload the links when new versions are received.

Also, make sure you understand that the Shared Levels and Grids workset will NOT have all levels and grids on it, but only those levels and grids that existed prior to enabling worksharing on that project. Personally, I merge that workset with the other one and rename to something else, like "Modeling Elements". Then create new worksets as desired.
    Turning off levels and grids in the Annotations tab = Correct 100% of the time.
    Turning off Shared levels and Grids workset = correct whatever percentage of the time your consultant builds the entire model correctly and doesnt make any mistakes with workset selection.

To each their own, but when there is a tool already created for it.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast