Thread: Move a specified distance by direction of snap

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Move a specified distance by direction of snap

Hi guys,

Hoping for a bit of help. I've upgraded to AutoCAD 2015 from 2012.

Previous snap behavior was: Select objects to move, M, Select basepoint, hover over line radiating from basepoint in direction I would like to move, engaging Nearest Osnap, type distance, press enter. Objects are moved the specified distance in the direction of the line because of the snap.

Current snap behavior: Same process, but result is that Objects are moved directly toward position of cursor instead of directly toward the snapped point. So, about two or three degrees off where I wanted them.

What's going on here?

Appreciate the help
    Stephen

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Move a specified distance by direction of snap

We have encountered a similar issue when upgrading from AutoCAD 2013 to 2015. When using a simple line command with dynamic input entering a distance and bearing the line seems to draw in the direction of the cursor instead of the actual bearing given. For instance entering a bearing of N34d57’37”E may result in the line actually being drawn S34d57’37”E.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Bump! Still happens

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Object Snap Tracking works the same in 2015 as previous versions. Must have Object Snap Tracking On(F11). I would never use Nearest Osnap if accuracy is a concern.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I know it's a bit off-topic, but Nearest snap has to be the most useful and versatile snap that I use. I only turn off Apparent intersect and Insertion.

For instance. Draw two parallel construction lines. Now zoom someplace not near the midpoint. Now draw a line between the two, perpendicular to both. Just "L", click one line (nearest), then click the other line (perpendicular). There isn't a faster way.

Another example. Draw a construction line in any direction. Zoom someplace not near the midpoint. Now draw a line that is 4" long and colinear with that line. L, click nearest on that line, hover nearest also on that line in the direction you would like to draw, type 4. Done. All with nearest. It's sooooo good.

Most people have problems with it because they don't know that you can press tab to cycle available snaps nearest your cursor

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by S_Newton View Post
    I know it's a bit off-topic, but Nearest snap has to be the most useful and versatile snap that I use. I only turn off Apparent intersect and Insertion.

For instance. Draw two parallel construction lines. Now zoom someplace not near the midpoint. Now draw a line between the two, perpendicular to both. Just "L", click one line (nearest), then click the other line (perpendicular). There isn't a faster way.

Another example. Draw a construction line in any direction. Zoom someplace not near the midpoint. Now draw a line that is 4" long and colinear with that line. L, click nearest on that line, hover nearest also on that line in the direction you would like to draw, type 4. Done. All with nearest. It's sooooo good.

Most people have problems with it because they don't know that you can press tab to cycle available snaps nearest your cursor
    Ok for your situation, but when you're trying to get a specific direction between two objects as described in the original post using nearest would get you a different direction every time. All osnaps and tools that come with AutoCAD have their uses for different situations. I keep End, Cen, Nod, Ins, and App on generally, but use the rest as needed.