See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Steel Beams Mitre/Miter Cut at Corners

Login to Give a bone

Default Steel Beams Mitre/Miter Cut at Corners

I'm battling along learning Revit structure, and can't seem to achieve something that should be simple.
    I have 2 angles which I am trying to miter together at 45 degrees. They currently intersect each other.
    So watching videos & help files, I should be able to use the beam/column join tool to click the arrow on one or the other and they miter. Unfortunately when I click one arrow, that beam extends and the other beam just cuts back. They are supposed to join at 45 degrees.
    Could someone please tell/show me how to get this tool to work, or give me a reason why it doesn't work in this instance..?
    I have attached a sample file...
    Thanks for any suggestions...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by chrisd385116; 2016-04-18 at 05:02 AM.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Steel Beams Mitre/Miter Cut at Corners

Hi Chris,
    Try making a reference plane at 45 degrees at the intersection, and then cut your angles to the reference plane rather than trying to cut them to each other.
    Just dont delete the reference plane or it will remove the cutaway.
    I use reference planes a lot for steel.
    My personal system I try to name everything otherwise it can get very cluttered with planes. Also manage the extents of those planes or they will show up in all sorts of views (they don't print but they can get confusing) So name them logically (in this case eg. "angle cut plane - roof")

Login to Give a bone

Hi Craig,
    Thanks for your reply. I have used a reference plane for doing this before, but the software is supposed to have this functionality. I have got it to work on other beams...sometimes.
    So my question is.....Why doesn't it work..? Is this just another of those things that "doesn't quite work properly yet"..?
    IS THERE ANYONE FROM AUTODESK LISTENING...? HEEELLLLOOOOOO...? IS STRUCTURAL A SECOND CLASS CITIZEN..?
    ********rant over****sorry...having a bad day****
    Craig, you can ignore the bit between the stars above, it's meant for *someone* else
    I do seem to end up with a ton of reference planes all over the place using the other method. Would you mind explaining what you mean by managing the extent of the ref planes..?
    That would probably be helpful for me...I have little green dashed lines everywhere...confusing....fer shure...
    Thanks again........c.d.
    p.s. Maybe there's hope in v2017 *crosses fingers*
    p.p.s Did you test my model (attachment) to see if it worked for you, using the "official" method (ie. not ref plane).?
    p.p.p.s. Hopefully not being too harsh on Big Brother
    p.p.p.p.s Time for a beer...!

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

The coping tool works relatively well, but its not perfect.
    It runs into problems in cases like this with angled pieces because it doesn't want to trim it down properly.
    You actually have two options here, I find sometimes ref planes are a bit easier to manage but not always ideal because of the mess they leave around.
    You can use "opening by face" which is Under the "structure" ribbon, "openings" "by face" then just make sure your two pièces of metal project past the cutting line and trace the outline of the piece you wish to cut away (make it slightly wider than your actual piece of metal) and job is done nice and neat.
    This is also a really useful tool if you need to create a cutaway/void in a web for example to pass some cables through. It also allows you some complex shapes in cutaways and copings.

With the ref planes they work much like a grid or level in that if the line doesn't cross into a view it isnt visible in that view.
    Eg. if you drag the extent of your grid line out of the "view box" or the limit of your section view, that grid is no longer visible even though theoretically it extends infinitely vertically in that plane the line representation is not visible. You can drag the extents of reference planes to be very small and limit its visibility in other views by doing so.
    Hope that makes sense, not real easy to explain.

I tested your model, no the "beam joins" tool is useless in this scenario

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for that Craig, I'll give the openings by face a try...