Thread: Total number of sheets in a single drawing with multiple Layouts

Login to Give a bone

Post Total number of sheets in a single drawing with multiple Layouts

My name is Brandon Wilson, and I know that this is an old discussion, but since it has been a while since I have used AutoCAD ( I am using AutoCAD Electrical 2017), why doesn't Autodesk have a Total Layout count yet?

Why do we still have to spend so much time for something that should be very simple.

I am currently using the Sheet Set's CurrentSheetNumber to get the number of the current sheet which I use in my Title Block Attribute (Sheet # of #); it is the count of the sheet, which is the first # attribute, but there is no Property for the Total Number of Layouts; can someone please help me.

Thank You!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Total number of sheets in a single drawing with multiple Layouts

Quote Originally Posted by bwilson727567 View Post
    ....why doesn't Autodesk have a Total Layout count yet?
    I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilson727567
    .....but there is no Property for the Total Number of Layouts; can someone please help me.
    Create a custom 'Sheet Set' property and populate it yourself.

We (with help...) created our own routine to renumber the sheets 1-X and populate our custom property with the count "X" so we didn't have to manually do it.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    Create a custom 'Sheet Set' property and populate it yourself.
    That's what we've been doing for, WOW, 10 years now since 2005 was released. You just have to remember to update the number if you add or remove sheets. Keeping the number updated hasn't been a problem in my office.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulsen View Post
    That's what we've been doing for, WOW, 10 years now since 2005 was released.
    Actually, 12 years, right?
    We're on 2017 now.

Login to Give a bone

Man how time flies.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Long long ago in school I was taught the key or index sheet didn't count and the page after was sheet 1 same as page 1 in a book. Most offices including ours count the key or index sheet as sheet 1. Maybe AutoCAD's afraid to open that can of worms. They could make it an option like counting the first row as a header in Excel.

Login to Give a bone

Another option, depending on how you number your sheets - if you use numbers only, and NOT numbers + letter(s) - you could simply assign the total value in 'XX of YY Sheets' the Sheet Number of the last Sheet in your Sheet Set.

So long as you always move that Sheet within the Sheet Set, and do not remove it from the Sheet Set, simply renumbering will keep your 'total' number accurate.

If you have multiple Sheets within a single drawing, or Subset of Sheets, simply do the same for the last Sheet in that particular Subset of Sheets.

If none of that works, because you DO use numbers + letter(s) in your Sheet numbering convention, then either use the custom Sheet Set Property as mentioned above, or a LISP that populates the value automagically using the following to populate your title block's attribute value:

Code:
    (itoa (length (layoutlist)))

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Total number of sheets in a single drawing with multiple Layouts

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    ......I was taught the key or index sheet didn't count and the page after was sheet 1 same as page 1 in a book. Most offices including ours count the key or index sheet as sheet 1. Maybe AutoCAD's afraid to open that can of worms. They could make it an option like counting the first row as a header in Excel.

Agreed. In our custom solution, I built in an option because we had TWO sheet 1's. (Two different cover sheets...it's a long story).
    So anyway, ours optionally numbered like this:

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    Agreed. In our custom solution, I built in an option because we had TWO sheet 1's. (Two different cover sheets...it's a long story).
    So anyway, ours optionally numbered like this:

The 'international' firm I came from used to "Issue" plans, for a given submittal, so I had an ISSUE_DATE, and ISSUE_DESC custom Sheet Set Property mapped into our title blocks.

Utility Submittal? Change the custom Sheet Set Properties without having to open a single drawing (10 seconds?), and Publish the plans you need.

Now with the 'small' firm, I have to have multiple Cover sheets (one for each submittal type).

On the up tic... They do pay better though, the 'small' firm. Haha
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000