Thread: Best Practice: Create a spin-off interior project from core and shell project

Login to Give a bone

Default Best Practice: Create a spin-off interior project from core and shell project

Hi,

I was wondering what might be the best practice to create a spin-off project from an existing revit project.
    I am doing a core and shell (currently in the construction phase) and I have been hired for parallel planning of some limited interior fit-out. Both are separate contracts, so I would like to keep things cleanly separated.

What is the best way to set this up?

I could obviously copy the current file as it is now and start a new project, but then I would have to implement possible late changes to the core and shell into both projects.

Or would you start a new file and link the existing model? But that might limit my options to make changes to the existing conditions when I am working in the interior file (new wall openings, shafts, etc.)? Also, the interior project is limited to only one floor and linking the model with all floors might make the file unnecessarily heavy?

Or maybe there are other options that I am not thinking of?

Any tips how you would handle this are highly appreciated.
    Thank you.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Best Practice: Create a spin-off interior project from core and shell project

It seams like you will be in the original project as well as the new. To keep separate contracts I would link but if that is not the main concern I would use a workset for your project or use a design option in that file.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Best Practice: Create a spin-off interior project from core and shell project

Personally I would stay away from Design Options. They are very hard to work with.

If it were me at my office, the shell building would have its own project number and file, and then any fit-outs would have their own project number and file. I would link in the shell file into your file for the fit-out (should not affect file size that much). If your shell building has many floors, I would probably have a workset for each floor, and then only link in that one workset. I think there's a way to do that but I haven't tried it. When you choose the shell model to link in, click the arrow next to the Open button and it will let you specify individual worksets.

Then, if the shell building needs any revisions due to the fit-out, do those in the shell file. You said it's under construction, so those revisions would be issued as part of the construction project anyway (ASI, RFP, etc). You can use shared coordinates to link any fit-out Revit files back into the shell file to help you get things lined up correctly.

Login to Give a bone

I'd agree with Patricks.
    Use a linked file.
    Plus this way any changes you need to make to the current project while it's under construction will be picked up and you won't have to maintain 2 models.

Login to Give a bone

Sounds good. Thanks guys!