See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Incorporate FM Data to BIM Model

Login to Give a bone

Default Incorporate FM Data to BIM Model

Please advise me the best way to incorporate Asset/FM Data to BIM model Elements. I was told that if i incorporate all Data BIM elements, the file size become unmanageable
    Thank you

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Incorporate FM Data to BIM Model

This is going to depend on how you're starting and handing over the model.

You might want to manage the bulk of the data in something like dRofus, because, yes, holding all of the data that might be needed (I assume that's already been decided upon) would be unwieldy in the Revit models. Also, it would likely be easier to import and manage in a more tabular format.

Some of the discussions on this page might give you more information: https://www.augi.com/communities/facility-management-community/bim-and-fm.

What will the FM team do with the data? Asset management, from the model or imported into a CAFM? Imported into a CMMS for maintenance?
    Last edited by Wanderer; 2018-05-25 at 04:10 PM. Reason: updated link
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Thank you Melanie. I have been given by the owner around 100 Data. As it's a Nursing Home, they are mainly going to use for maintenance. As I haven't been introuduced to the Operator of the Building, I am not sure what type of software they are going to use. As it's the first time, I am going to develop a FM model, I am looking for some guidance.

So I understood that it's better to have the Data in external file as Tabular Format and give a reference to model. Right?

Thank you Melanie for your time to reply for me.

Regards,
    Shan

Login to Give a bone

Shan,

Anytime! The type of data imported and exported is going to vary from owner to owner and project to project.

The most important thing is to know how the owner will be making use of the data. It IS entirely possible that the owner is a big Revit MEP fan and wants to manage everything within that. But, in my experience, most teams that are advanced enough to BIM are large enough that they'll be exporting the data to a software package everyone can use, like a work order system. It's possible that the owner wants everything in the model and has a method in place to export it themselves, but, this is a conversation you can really only have with the operator. Even the project managers running the project on behalf of the owner probably don't know exactly how it's going to be used.

When I still worked for a facility, our main concern was having major equipment details in the model for future renovations, but, the rest of it in tabular format for easy import to Maximo for work orders. You have to know the exact data points you're tracking though... type, size, serial number, year of manufacture, etc. Only your operator can tell you what needs to be there, and that might inform how you manage it on your side.

Best of luck! Be sure to check back in as you progress and let us know how it goes. What works, what doesn't, what you might want to try next time, etc.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Thank you very much Melanie,
    Now I got an idea what I have to do & what should I ask the operator. Really those info & advice are very useful. I will contact you if I have any question and also let you know the progress too

Thank you

Best Regards,
    Shan

Login to Give a bone

Hello Shan,
    Another option if the user wants to access this data either directly in the model or in Microsoft Word, would be to use VisiSpecs by Chalkline (yes, I am with Chalkline). Any file (PDFs, XLS, JPG, MP4, etc) such as submittals, warrantys, maintenance logs, certificates, etc. or a hyperlink can be included with the project and accessed from design to construction to FM. The files are managed in a cloud so don't weigh down the model. Accessing in Microsoft Word (who doesn't have Word installed?) is very easy and we also have a model viewer with document access in a light weight application called VisiView. Check out chalklineinc and let us know if you want to setup a trial as you could show the client the data access very quickly and easily using our trial project.
    Thank you,
    Seamus
    Last edited by Wanderer; 2016-06-16 at 05:06 PM. Reason: hyperlinks are restricted for new posters. thank you.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Shan,

If you need tools that can assist in the data collection process, and that can be closely integrated with Revit, can I suggest you take a look at CodeBook Project Manager and Data Collectors. As with Seamus, I also have a vested interest, as I am with CodeBook. If you need further information, we can arrange a web demo and trial use of the software.

Best regards Peter.

Login to Give a bone

Hi, Thank you Seamus & Peter.
    I have a look of those references and come back to you if i want to know more.

Thank you again.

Best regards,
    Shan