Thread: Trim to auto select all boundaries and directly go into trim mode

Wish List Administration

Default Trim to auto select all boundaries and directly go into trim mode

Summary: Have the trim tool auto select all geometry to be cutting edges and go straight into trimming mode.

Description: .Have the trim tool auto select all geometry to be cutting edges and go straight into trimming mode.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Drawing Tools 2D

Submitted By: Charlv on 07/15/2016

Certifiable AUGI Addict

Default Re: Trim to auto select all boundaries and directly go into trim mode

From AutoCAD help:
    TRIM (Command)
    To use all objects as boundaries, press Enter at the first Select Objects prompt.

To avoid having to press Enter or Spacebar you can create a macro that adds the Enter for you.

I could stop if I wanted to

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    From AutoCAD help:
    TRIM (Command)
    To use all objects as boundaries, press Enter at the first Select Objects prompt.

To avoid having to press Enter or Spacebar you can create a macro that adds the Enter for you.
    Nice Tip. I always right click for enter, so that is why I missed this feature. You have to actually hit the 'Enter' key on the keyboard.

Existing users know how to use Trim and Customize commands. New users dont. I'm suggesting that the Trim commands by default has the Enter built in so its easier for new users to learn the Trim command.

AUGI Addict

Not necessarily a good idea. Processing the entire drawing can result in long delays as it checks every entity against every other entity (exploded hatches can be particularly bad for this). And you don't necessarily want everything "auto-trimmed" like that. I would prefer new users learn new skills rather than adjusting the program itself to compensate.

Certifiable AUGI Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Charlv View Post
    Existing users know how to use Trim and Customize commands. New users dont. I'm suggesting that the Trim commands by default has the Enter built in so its easier for new users to learn the Trim command.
    Many AutoCAD commands have defaults for Enter in <>
    The trim command gives the following prompt:
    _trim
    Current settings: Projection=UCS, Edge=None
    Select cutting edges ...
    Select objects or <select all>:

So it should be obvious that hitting Enter will automatically <select all>
    Most users prefer to select the cutting edges …
    You want to remove this ability I've been using for twenty something years because that's how you would like it to work?
    Try teaching them hitting F1 gives help on any command instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlv View Post
    Breaking functionality in lieu of education does not seem a great idea. If the default was to select _everything_ as a potential edge instantly, TRIM would become effectively useless for me as I would be twiddling my thumbs while all 250000 possible edges were selected and highlighted. (Yes, I have busy files -- nature of the Civil world with multiple xrefs and models)

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: Trim to auto select all boundaries and directly go into trim mode

This wish has been reported as granted and already in the software.