See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Paper Space or Model Space

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    2016-02
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    10
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Paper Space or Model Space

    I know this has been asked ever since AutoCAD added Paper Space. I am looking for documentation that gives reccomendations for which items should go in Model Space and what should go into Paper Space and why. I know there is a lot of forum topics with people bickering back and forth. I know how I feel but I am willing to see new ideas. I need documentation if any knows of any.

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Mod / Salary / SM Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    2001-12
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    5,342
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Paper Space or Model Space

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo479 View Post
    I know this has been asked ever since AutoCAD added Paper Space. I am looking for documentation that gives reccomendations for which items should go in Model Space and what should go into Paper Space and why. I know there is a lot of forum topics with people bickering back and forth. I know how I feel but I am willing to see new ideas. I need documentation if any knows of any.

    Thank you
    Documentation? I don't know. I have thought the consensus was model and anything attached to it goes into modelspace, and non-geometrically-bound annotation (such as keynotes and titleblocks) go in paperspace.

    The Autodesk Knowledgebase says 'notes and titleblocks', if that helps.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

    ARCHIBUS, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use Revit and Tririga, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

  3. #3
    Super Moderator CAtDiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    2015-10
    Location
    Where pedals spin to move wheels
    Posts
    340
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Paper Space or Model Space

    99% of the time, the only things I put in paperspace are the titleblock, viewport, view titles, north arrow and keyplans. Sometimes I've put revision clouds in paperspace, but usually I prefer them in modelspace so I can put them behind the major linework.

  4. #4
    AUGI Addict
    Join Date
    2015-12
    Posts
    2,095
    Login to Give a bone
    1

    Default Re: Paper Space or Model Space

    A lot of that depends on the discipline and drawing as well. Modelspace dimensions and other annotations are much more viable with 2D linework than a 3D model. And whether the modelspace contents need to be XREFd into other drawings.
    If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
    Some say beauty is in the eye of the Beholder... perhaps so, but I've only seen the disintegration beam.
    Everyone else being wrong is not the same thing as being right.

  5. #5
    Certifiable AUGI Addict tedg's Avatar
    Join Date
    2005-06
    Location
    in the upper right corner
    Posts
    3,273
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Paper Space or Model Space

    Quote Originally Posted by CAtDiva View Post
    99% of the time, the only things I put in paperspace are the titleblock, viewport, view titles, north arrow and keyplans. Sometimes I've put revision clouds in paperspace, but usually I prefer them in modelspace so I can put them behind the major linework.
    ^^ Me too, agree with all of this, except I always put Revclouds in PS, because that is more of a sheet annotation thing, and easily handled in a 1:1 PS scale.

    If you have a sheet with a bunch of different scaled VPs, then you would need to worry about the scale(s) of the cloud arcs in MS.

    (just my opinion of course)
    Ted
    ____________________________________________________________________ ________________
    Windows 10
    AutoCAD 2018 - REVIT 2019 - Inventor Professional 2017 (when I can)

  6. #6
    Certifiable AUGI Addict cadtag's Avatar
    Join Date
    2000-12
    Location
    Cairo - no, not Illinois
    Posts
    4,842
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Paper Space or Model Space

    Quote Originally Posted by dgorsman View Post
    A lot of that depends on the discipline and drawing as well. Modelspace dimensions and other annotations are much more viable with 2D linework than a 3D model. And whether the modelspace contents need to be XREFd into other drawings.
    Add the particular vertical to that list of things that make it a 'depends' situation. Civil3d labels for example must be in model space, even though there are many times on a civil plan set where being able to move them to paperspace would help clarity.
    Real pirates wear silk suits & ties, and write EULAs
    The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government, is big business.

    Toward a Sustainable Water Future: Visions for 2050 http://ascelibrary.org/doi/book/10.1061/9780784412077

  7. #7
    100 Club
    Join Date
    2005-09
    Posts
    184
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Paper Space or Model Space

    Searching for something else related to the 'new' 2021 revcloud changes, came across this and wanted to add to everyone commenting above.... especially the "it depends" comments.... In the MS environment we keep linework in, it seems more of a reasonable place to keep the revcloud because you're highlighting linework in MS. If something in MS moves, so does the revcloud. If in PS, the drafter now has to know or remember that there's a revcloud needs to be updated as well. If it's in MS, it's much easier to keep track of.

    Commenting on the "size" of the arc lengths... It 'was' handled by the dimstyle and in my opinion not an issue (now it seems to be an issue... hence my searching).... All my opinion / philosophy on drafting... HTH

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2014-02-18, 01:25 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2010-03-23, 07:22 PM
  3. Cogo point label size model space/paper space
    By HankL in forum AutoCAD Civil 3D - Land Desktop Companion - General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2008-01-14, 08:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •