Thread: no point file format match found

Login to Give a bone

Default no point file format match found

I just got a new Leica robotic total station and GPS rover. We shot some practice points and now I'm trying to import the data. I exported what we collected from the data collector in both dxf and txt format. The text file is PNEZ space delimited. When I try to import the points, Civil 3D tells me it can't find a match for the format. I am able to choose the correct format, and have it show up correctly in the preview window, but the OK button remains grayed out.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: no point file format match found

Open the text file in NotePad++, see anything funky going on?

try using search & replace, and space out all the spaces for commas. What does that look like?

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Another thing to look at is the format of the txt file. Make sure it is ANSI and not UTF-8.

Login to Give a bone

I opened it in Notepad and did not find anything unusual. I changed the spaces to commas with the same result.
    As far as the format of the .txt file, I don't know how to do that. I've never heard of UTF-8.
    I also tried exporting as .csv and that isn't recognized either.

Does the file name have any bearing? Do the point numbers all have to be numbers, or are letters OK too? I'm grasping at straws to figure out why this isn't working as expected and what I can do to get it to import. The whole point of upgrading our equipment is so that I wouldn't have to input points manually anymore.
    Last edited by jgrande26; 2016-08-01 at 01:46 PM.

Login to Give a bone

OK, still experimenting. I got the points I shot with the total station to import, changing the spaces to commas. The GPS points still won't import. I'm attaching the file to see if someone else can figure it out.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

HI
    Can't have any letters in the text at all. It looks like you are on longs and lats you might want to define your location first but is not necessary. It should work

Login to Give a bone

can you set your equipment to put the text labels at the end as Descriptions? using a word as a point number does not seem likely it will ever work....

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jgrande26 View Post
    OK, still experimenting. I got the points I shot with the total station to import, changing the spaces to commas. The GPS points still won't import. I'm attaching the file to see if someone else can figure it out.
    This issue is that you have both points and descriptions as your First Value for importing your points. Point files are very specific meaning, if your point file is set up to Import Point Number, Northing, Easting, Elevation, your text, ascii, etc. file needs to be in that order.

Your point file has both numbers and descriptions for that first value, so Civil3D doesn't understand. I would change your mon, and fab to a number, (should probably be the same numbers as your traverse line) and see if the points will come in that way.

You can also create a custom Point File. So if you like to type in the description first, you can set up the point file to read Description, Northing, Easting, Elevation.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks everyone. Moving the descriptions to the end and making the point numbers just numbers did the trick. Now I just have to figure out what I did wrong during the collection that made the file come out that way. Apparently, when trying to add descriptions to the points, I was changing the point number instead.