See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: AutoCAD 3D vs. Solid Edge & Solid works.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD 3D vs. Solid Edge & Solid works.

I am trying to find some information comparing AutoCAD 3D (primarily Revit MEP) with Solid Edge & Solid Works. I need to show why AutoCAD is a better product than the others. Is there any good comparison data out there? A good video automation would be useful too.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 3D vs. Solid Edge & Solid works.

Quote Originally Posted by mschonauer871264 View Post
    I am trying to find some information comparing AutoCAD 3D (primarily Revit MEP) with Solid Edge & Solid Works. I need to show why AutoCAD is a better product than the others. Is there any good comparison data out there? A good video automation would be useful too.
    I'm not going to be much help with an answer but I want to point out some things that maybe you know or don't know..

3D AutoCAD is not REVIT (revit MEP, Structure, Arch etc is a separate program owned by Autodesk) and is for modeling and designing buildings and thier systems.
    AutoCAD is a separate design software by Autodesk, and you can design/model in 3D with the full version, but it's just 3D cad, not very "smart" like Revit.

If you're taking just MEP, there are AutoCAD products like "Plant" that piggy back on AutoCAD and more handy for piping and systems like that.
    If you're talking Mechanical design, like machines and equipment, Autodesk has "Inventor" which is similar to Solidworks.

I personally don't know much about Solid Edge and Solid Works other than Solid Works is a lot like Inventor.. a bit different, creates the same stuff but different ways to do it.

Hope that helps you along your journey..

Login to Give a bone

one comment -- starting out with pre-determined outcome is not a good way to evaluate anything, whether it's CAD or cars

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

You need to consider both the use and the context. Sometimes you need a Swiss army knife (AutoCAD) and sometimes you need a scalpel (Revit, SolidWorks). If everything is already set up for one or the other, the cost of migration may be higher than any kind of benefits.