Thread: Layer Lock

Wish List Administration
    Login to Give a bone

Default Layer Lock

Summary: Password protected layer lock

Description: Would like to lock layers with a password, so that clients who want to add their own layer of information to my drawing can't change/edit any of the original drawing layers.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD Architecture -

Submitted By: fbunting on 10/11/2016

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Layer Lock

Back when I used to use Wordperfect, I thought it would be a great idea to start password protecting all my tests. Next year, when I wanted to edit them, I'd forgotten all my passwords. I think such a wish, if granted, will lead to a similar level of havoc, whether well intentioned or not. Keeping separate files and using an xref system is better protection IMO. Unfortunately, with CADLock closed, there might be a strong rationale for this wish being granted by Autodesk. This is not something that I would ever use but it might have benefits to some.

This is one of a pair of related wishes by the same poster. It really should be an AutoCAD wish rather than an AutoCAD Archtiecture wish. One wish should probably be deleted.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Layer Lock

I work in the technical planning aspect of the entertainment industry. I constantly run across casual users who have no idea what an Xref is. When base architectural drawings are moved or erased by accident it can cause major head aches and budget problems. Don't need more than one password used for all files. Pass wording a layer lock should be an option, not a default setting.