Thread: Manage Revit worksets - Links in links

Login to Give a bone

Default Manage Revit worksets - Links in links

Hi all

Need some help here

So... I'm currently working in a multi resi project (about 200 stand alone houses - 59 different types).

This project is moving onto tender phase and there are many amendments to make to all 59 types (for example, wall types, door types, window types, etc).

Originally we had a separate file for each individual house, but this is not practical. If I need to change the wall type I need to open each individual type (which means 59 times!).

Hence, I thought a good idea would be to structure the file in the following way>

1-"Documentation & Modelling" file where I have all 59 types one next to the other (each house type has its own individual workset)

2-Each house of the above file is linked into an individual house file (say "Type A") and all worksets are closed except the "Type A" workset

3-Each individual file (Type A, B, C gets then linked into the masterplan site to get overall plan, street elevations, etc).

Here's the issue: when I link the individual types (which are a link of the documentation & modelling file) into the masterplan file I can't "manage worksets" (ie all 59 houses appear, even though only 1 house is shown in the link).

Any ideas on how to overcome this?

Any better ways to handle a project with multi residential units?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Manage Revit worksets - Links in links

Hi there. I think I follow your workflow. One key thing about Linked RVT files: once Linked, an RVT file becomes an object and the Worksets are properties of that object. While you cannot manage Worksets across a link using the Collaborate functions of Revit, you can control linked file Worksets in Visibility Graphics in each View. If you build your base "masterplan site" file as a template with the Linked RVT of your 59 houses linked into it, then you could, in theory, create View Templates for each house type (A, B, C, D, etc.) that you can apply to the Views by using the Custom settings for each Linked RVT.