Thread: Paragraph spacing in MTEXT *

Lightbulb Paragraph spacing in MTEXT *

I would like to see more text formatting features in general (tab styles & alignments, etc.), but I would also like to set the "paragraph" line spacing (ex. to 1.5). Right now, it can only be set for all the lines.

We've been using DTEXT for our numbered notes. Now that we've upgraded to 2005 (from 2002), I've started using the tabs for our notes, but some of our engineers like to see space between items. On the general notes sheet we always use a full line, but on details, a full space looks too big. To get a half line you have to explode the text, which defeats the whole purpose.

Basically, I want to see stuff like Word.

100 Club

Default Re: Paragraph spacing in MTEXT *

You can perform some function of line spacing using the MTEXT editor. Set the line spacing to exactly and give it a distance half space is around 2 not 1.5.

As far as the ability to change the line spacing in a string of MTEXT... ie. adding a half line between two lines of text... I don't think this is an available option.

Question Re: Paragraph spacing in MTEXT *

Quote Originally Posted by Rick.Bushaw
    You can perform some function of line spacing using the MTEXT editor. Set the line spacing to exactly and give it a distance half space is around 2 not 1.5.
    Could you elaborate on that? I don't understand.

As far as the ability to change the line spacing in a string of MTEXT... ie. adding a half line between two lines of text... I don't think this is an available option.
    It's not. That's the point.

100 Club

Default Re: Paragraph spacing in MTEXT *

Quote Originally Posted by lcamara
    Could you elaborate on that? I don't understand.
    After invoking the MTEXT command and picking a starting point several options will display on the command line. If you select Line spacing (type L at the command prompt) additional options will display. You can choose Exactly at this point to force all line spacing to be uniform or At least which varies the space dependent on the font height, check out this snippet from the AutoCAD help files...

Line spacing for multiline text is the distance between the baseline (bottom) of one line of text and the baseline of the next line of text. The line space factor applies to the entire multiline text object, not to selected lines.

You can set the spacing increment to a multiple of single line spacing, or as an absolute distance. Single spacing is 1.66 times the height of the text characters.

The default line space style, At Least, automatically increases line spacing to accommodate characters that are too large to fit the line spacing you set for the multiline text object. Use the other line space style, Exactly, to line up text in tables.

To ensure that line spacing is identical in multiple multiline text objects, use Exactly and set the Line Space Factor to the same value in each multiline text object.

Note Using Exactly can cause text in lines located above or below lines with large font characters to overlap the larger characters.

You should change the line space factor, find out what setting works best for your drawings.

I did however misspeak myself with regard to varying line spacing. You should try modifying the text height between lines in the MTEXT editor and adding a line with a space on it.

Seems to work for me really well.

Arrow Re: Paragraph spacing in MTEXT *

You should change the line space factor, find out what setting works best for your drawings.

I did however misspeak myself with regard to varying line spacing. You should try modifying the text height between lines in the MTEXT editor and adding a line with a space on it.
    The setting that works best for us is the default "single" (5/3) linespacing.

What the feature request is for is a "paragraph" spacing.

Inserting a blank line between paragraphs does just that - add a (full) blank line. Decreasing the height of that line has it's limitations (because the editor restricts the size). Besides, even if that worked to give me a "half" line, that would be a real pain to be doing everytime we want a half space between paragraphs.