Thread: Where are linked files stored

Login to Give a bone

Default Where are linked files stored

Inventor 101 - inventor files have other files like excel spreadsheets that are necessary for them to work.

If I backup my files, single user system, to a network/external drive, 8" floppy drive, Commodore 64 tape deck etc., not using the "pack and go" utility then the linked files are not backed up with them. Applaud now if I got it right.

So where are the linked files stored?????? Just curious.

The Pack and Go utility says it with work on the open active file. Is there a away to use this utility to back up a whole project all at once without opening each file one at a time..

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Where are linked files stored

"Applause"

I believe that Pack and Go captures only the data specific to the active file within a project. The Inventor support files are stored in various locations.

From within Inventor, go to Tools > Options > Application Options and select the "File" tab. This shows the default locations of some of the files. Selecting the "iFeature" tab and "Content Center" tabs show other locations. Basically, the files (for 2017) are in "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2017", "C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Inventor 2017" and your local user profile.

I sync all of these files between my desktop and laptop before I leave for the day, and then again when I arrive in the morning, so that both systems have the current version. This is especially handy where net access is restricted or non-existent. Yes, those places exist...

Windows backup can do what you want, once you get the settings right.

HTH

Login to Give a bone

Thanks.

It seems strange that some kind of bulk file backup isn't available through Inventor, ya I know Vault right but.....

If I have a computer crash, without saving with Pack and Go, then files are lost. Saving files with Pack and Go that may still be worked on also seems awkward. I have all my projects backed up on an external drive but all that may be worthless (Drawing files should be OK) since much of the linked files are not there.

Login to Give a bone

If you are concerned about losing your work due to system failures, then I think a realtime backup/sync strategy is what you need to implement. There are various cloud options to use, as well as programs that use the bittorrent protocol. These would be more efficient than relying on PnG (Pack and Go). Even if you have a small file set to back up, you must disrupt your workflow, and take the time to generate a PnG package.

And I hear you about Vault... It is capable, but needs work... That is a lengthy discussion in itself...

Login to Give a bone

I don't have much faith in "cloud" storage, security and longevity no matter how good the claims from venders are, it is problematic. Cloud storage has been known to disappear, company goes bust and so do your files and the cloud gets hacked. I also don't trust the honesty of some/most of these sites. They are not doing this because they are nice guys, Google for one admits to reading everything. I don't have anything that anyone would want but I still don't like snoopers.

I haven't had much luck with windows backup, files getting scrambled so I will look for a different solution.

Login to Give a bone

I am not advocating cloud storage for any data unless the files are encrypted, and even then, it it a rare occasion. I was referring to local storage, such as NAS or other peripherally attached hardware. Although most companies claim to be able to secure their cloud data, they cannot, and once they have your data, as in Google's case, they are free to read it, duplicate it, or in recent cases, restrict your access as they see fit. One protocol that looks promising is bittorrent, such as Resilio Sync, which syncs point to point, i.e. computer to computer, although they cannot guarantee the security either.

Windows backup is one of many backup/sync options, and certainly not the best, although I have not experienced what you have, however, I only use it if I am replacing a system drive. There are linux options as well, if you know your way around it.

Good luck...