See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: 3D Design

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default 3D Design

I am working with a new company that wants to do 3D but they insist you cannot use the 3D model to make 2D or shop fabrication (2D looking) drawings. I have done this many, many times myself. For example outside of the model in plan view they insist on a phantom line to represent handrail and label it. Doing a simple elevation view or a 3D perspective view clearly shows the handrail. Can anyone give me some more information to convince them that it is perfectly normal to do this. Possibly some links to web sites that may have articles about companies who do this. If anyone has time and can write about how you do it that would be much appreciated also. This is depressing me a bunch. Thank you very much, Jack Foster.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 3D Design

Well, it is going to boil down to costs. Do they really want to take the extra time (read, $) to develop a 3D model that won't be used to produce the 2D drawings? Why bother with the 3D model then? If they really want to embrace 3D, then they need to adjust their standards to make the use of the 3D model cost effective (read, use the model to make the 2D representation). Otherwise, they are simply adding another source for errors and increased costs.

Don't try to cram the tool into process, rather, adjust the process to fit the tool.

Login to Give a bone

Attached is a 3d drawing that has 2d views and a 3d rendering. Check out all three layout tabs. I did all the 3d linework in the model then made elevation and plan views in the layout tabs, then dimensioned everything. (note all dimensioning layers and notes had to go on separate layers so I could freeze them in other views)

Only had to draw it in 3d once and did not have to create more line work for separate views. I saved hours of work. If I change the drawing all the views get updated along with it. Also it eliminates interference, and mistakes.

If you have any ????'s email me, I'll discuss why co's need to start this procedure.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

If you put the dimensions in the layouts you wouldn't need multiple dimensioning layers or need to worry about freezing different combinations in different vports.