See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Macro Help for changing Font in 150 dwgs

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Question Macro Help for changing Font in 150 dwgs

I was finally pegged in my office to do the changing out the old with the new....text style since my company deiced to rolled out a new font for our office standards. So unfortunately here I m just staring at about 150 DWGs and I keep telling myself...there has to be an easier way to complete this mundane task. So I deiced to write a post to see maybe someone else has been tasked with such a great and fun assignment. Below is basically a breakdown of what needs to happen with these 150 or so DWGS

1. open DWG

2. select all text

3. change text font (text style)

4. save DWG

and boom done!

any help with a good way to tackle this or maybe just a little guidance considering I'm a die-hard Revit user and in Revit we don't run into issues of such. haha jk.

Thanks in advance.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Macro Help for changing Font in 150 dwgs

Our company changed fonts too; we just decided that new drawings would adhere to the new standards, and spending project budget to convert current project drawings (using the previous standard) to now use the new standard was a waste. The old standard just dies off through attrition.

That said, if your employer wants to do that anyway, the simplest way for you to do this is to write a Script to process all of your drawings.

If you're a bit advanced at writing your own LISP, you can use ObjectDBX which will be faster than Script, but yield the same result and requires that you write the Visual LISP for yourself.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Gotta love the change especially when its right before a deadline ahaha.

Thanks for your input now i have somewhere as a reference point to start from!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mickaeL_renauD View Post
    Gotta love the change especially when its right before a deadline ahaha.

Thanks for your input now i have somewhere as a reference point to start from!
    That does not seem like a good use of production time, for such a minor aesthetic change, right before a deadline - in any event, good luck!

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

it could turn out worse than a minor aesthetic change, if the replacement font has a different character set. eg moving from romans to calibri. Not something I would want to tackle without enough budget to verify each and every bit of text that changes to ensure the new correctly communicates what the old did. Better dollar wise to follow BB's approach and terminate the old through attrition, and only fix as-needed..

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    ...Better dollar wise to follow BB's approach and terminate the old through attrition, and only fix as-needed..
    A valuable lesson I learned from the folks at the helm of my former, mid-size firm (back when I was a young pup, in CAD), after we were acquired by a much larger international firm and had to adopt all new standards. *Tips hat*

Cheers

Computer Specs: