Thread: Paint Tool Wish

I could stop if I wanted to

Default Paint Tool Wish

The paint tool could paint all the walls, ceilings, floors in a room without using the the split face tool.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2005-03-27 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Splitting into separate wishes

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

Default Re: Paint Tool Wish

It can...can you explain how it doesn't work for you?

I didnt know I could do that. How??

If I want a special finish for the floor in one specific room and I use the paint tool on the floor, the entire floor on that level changes finish.

Apparently this is possible in Revit. I'm waiting for someone to explain how?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

When I read your post originally I took it to mean that you wanted to apply a material to the whole surface and that you thought you HAD to split a surface to do it.

Now that I think I better understand what you asking for, that is, to paint a material on just a portion of the whole of a surface without having to split the surface and you are correct, you can't.

I'm not sure how you'd tell Revit which portion to paint without doing something? The split face tool is that "how"...it let's you apply materials without modeling the true conditions.

For floors, many of us actually prefer another approach. That is to model only the "structural slab" (for example wood structure and sheathing or concrete slab) of the overall floor system. Then place a "finish only" floor (tile, carpet, wood, VCT) in the rooms that get different materials. For rooms that have a perimeter boundary of one material and a body of another just do the same thing within the room itself by cutting a "hole" (sketching a second boundary shape) in the larger floor area and placing the other floor material inside the hole in a second step.

These finish only floors must have their bottom offset parameter increased to match their thickness so they sit on top of the structural slab floor. When/if you cut a section through this later at a larger detail scale you get the actual condition you expect at a pretty small cost (effort).

If you set up "structure only" and "finish only" floors in your project template, you are ready to go on the next project.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2005-03-29 at 08:50 AM.

Well, the a roomtag with area knows the boundarys of a room, so the paint tool could learn to find room boundaries too I guess. Or we could have some kind of "room-properties" so we could define surfaces in a specific room, that includes wall, floor, ceiling materials.

The issue with this at the moment is that where would revit 'finish' the actual room wall finish. This is quite easily achieved with a nice flat ceiling within the room but anything slightly complex and this just wont work.

The current room object seems very remote from the actual model information but does provide us with the basics - i.e. Floor areas/perimeters etc and some VERY nice colour fill plans.

The whole concept of a revit 'Room' needs to go a lot further to incorporate its 3d space but this must only be a matter of time as room volumes are required for HVAC applications etc.

I cant help but think that the room object properties need to get smarter so they do actually match the geometric model - i CAN produce a coloured floor finish plan and then model totally DIFFERENT finishes in the room.

Its got to be a VERY smart room to get down to different wall colours/finishes and what about mirrors and tile banding etc. - Can still see us having to model/draw the majority of room finihses for a long time yet !. - but hey who knows whats round the corner with this fantastic product.