Thread: Value from parameter into a field?

Login to Give a bone

Question Value from parameter into a field?

Trying to explore the possibilities with parametric design. Is it possible to get the value from a named parameter into a field?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Value from parameter into a field?

Ended up with a workaround. I had to connect the user parameter to a linear constraint to be able to select it as an object in the field dialog box. Not pretty but it works Are there other ways to do it?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Value from parameter into a field?

I'm looking into a similar scenario. I have a user parameter that I want to use in a formula and then display as part of the block. So far the only way I can find to get to the user parameter is with field in an attribute. Fields in attributes can get to them by name. The attribute's value contains a few fields within a formula. I'd like to protect that attribute/formula from being inadvertently edited by the user. I'd rather it just be Mtext with a field by a field in Mtext can't reach the user parameter.

Locking an attribute isn't directly possible. It was sort-of be accomplished by placing the attribute on a locked layer, however, that layer can't be locked at the instance the block is inserted or the attribute will never update when values/calculations change. Locking the layer afterward does prevent the attribute from being edited and still allows it to update. I'm not happy with that as a solution and looking to setting up some dummy linear parameters to hold the values I want to use so I could get to them with an Mtext field formula, change them from the properties window and have them protected from being easily broken.