Thread: Linking Callouts to a Drawing in Another Sheet Set

Login to Give a bone

Default Linking Callouts to a Drawing in Another Sheet Set

Is there a way to link a callout to a view contained in a different sheet set than the current sheet?

I am working on a project with a large number of sheets (approx. 600). We have a team of about 9 people working on the project and we have been running into problems when it comes to placing views on sheets, renaming/renumbering, etc... Basically, we are all trying to access the SSM and it is locking us out while one person works on it. We have another very similar project starting up and we have made the decision to split the sheet set up into multiple smaller sheet sets. We will have one sheet set with the overall drawings of the whole project, but the rest of the sheet sets will correspond to different zones of the project with their own xrefs (i.e. west wing, east wing, central atrium, etc...). The first sheetset for the overall will also have some overall details that apply to other zones as well. As a result, some of the sheets in the various sheet sets will have detail callouts that need to point to details that reside in the overall sheet set. Is there a way to dynamically link these callouts so that if we rename/renumber a sheet in the overall sheet set, the corresponding detail callouts in the zone sheet sets will also update?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linking Callouts to a Drawing in Another Sheet Set

I don't use sheetviews, but looks like it would work, on the Field dialog, pick SheetSet from the category pull down, then browse for the sheet set yo want to pull from, and see what shows up after you've picked it.

Login to Give a bone

As @cagtag says, yes this will work.

Be careful and make sure everyone know the potential issues.

If someone takes a field linked to a particular sheet set, and copies it to some other set of drawings for some reason (let's face it, copy+paste is easy to do and is generally responsible for all of the recent Autodesk bloat spreading issues...) - then that field will continue to point to that other sheet set. Then if they gets copied, or savedAs'd or whatever - the next thing you know you've got pointers out there all over your network.

How do I know? Because I've seen it here. One set of drawings I was debugging had 7 or 8 different references to other sheet sets (some non-existent at this point) and it was killing the performance on these drawings. Every time the user switched layout tabs, a 2 minute delay was started. Opening the drawing was a time killer too.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post

How do I know? Because I've seen it here. One set of drawings I was debugging had 7 or 8 different references to other sheet sets (some non-existent at this point) and it was killing the performance on these drawings. Every time the user switched layout tabs, a 2 minute delay was started. Opening the drawing was a time killer too.
    How did you "debug" this situation? I sometimes run into the situation where I get a warning that the "sheet may be referenced in another sheet set" (or something like that).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    How did you "debug" this situation?
    Using Process Monitor to watch file activity.

Quote Originally Posted by tedg
    I sometimes run into the situation where I get a warning that the "sheet may be referenced in another sheet set" (or something like that).
    If that is what I think it is, then this is normal, since a given layout can only belong to one sheet set.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |