Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Create an alignment style that shows station & offset

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Create an alignment style that shows station & offset

Is there a way to create a style for an alignment that would show the station, offset dist. (left or right) and a description of the point, i.e. if a topo survey was done showing signs, hydrants, valves, etc.

basically a station and offset and descriptions of features located along the alignment. i've added a third line (text) in the station and offset style, but it's not easily edited. don't see a way to include
    the raw or full description in the style.

this would be handy when doing plan and profile sheets to show existing features on roadway projects

any ideas?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Create an alignment style that shows station & offset

Add a reference text component to the normal alignment station-offset label style. That would allow one label to pull info from two different civil 3D objects.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

how do you add a reference text component. i've added just a regular text component, but not sure how to add a reference text component.

figured out how to add the reference label, but its not picking up on the raw description
    Last edited by rmk; 2017-03-31 at 09:14 PM.

Login to Give a bone

In the style composer layout tab there are 4 buttons near the top. The left most button will open a list of component type you can add the the style. (Text, Line, Block, and Reference Text) When you select the reference text it will then ask for what type of civil 3d item you want to reference. (Alignment, Cogo Point, Parcel, Profile, Surface, and Survey Figure)

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

i did find that and i added a reference text component to the style for the raw description. all it will display is (???) and it has a blank line between the other info and and the question marks.

styles seem to be so complicated.

Login to Give a bone

Watch the command line when you're placing the label. The first 'point' selection is for the location of the label, the second 'point' selection is for you to select the actual point that will be the focus of the reference in the label.

If the placed label shows ??? that means the item that portion of the label isn't available. Select the label and check the properties. The reference text item will be listed there. In this case it should show the point number. A label showing ??? will show <none>. You can enter the point number here to fix it.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MMccall View Post
    Watch the command line when you're placing the label. The first 'point' selection is for the location of the label, the second 'point' selection is for you to select the actual point that will be the focus of the reference in the label.

If the placed label shows ??? that means the item that portion of the label isn't available. Select the label and check the properties. The reference text item will be listed there. In this case it should show the point number. A label showing ??? will show <none>. You can enter the point number here to fix it.
    sorry tried several times, still doesn't work. can you post something that i try and duplicate?

Login to Give a bone

Attached is a vert simple file with an alignment and 4 points labeled by station, offset and Point Raw Description.

While this does work, its not ideal. For whatever reason they made the labeling function hold on to the first point object you select, which makes you have to exit and restart the command for each point. Another option would be to just continue labeling and then go back and fix the reference point for each one. It would have been nice if we could do this as a point lable that referenced an alignment, however they didn't put a reference text component in the point labels. (at least not thru 2016)
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

thanks MMccall. is there a certain way you have to select the cogo point? i was able to create what you have but it only shows the 3 question marks.

i also tried it in your drawing and got the same thing, 3 question marks.

im selecting the alignment, add lables, station offset, selecting the node for the station location and then selecting the point node. i get the label, but with 3 question marks for the raw description, any ideas what im doing wrong.

ive attached a picture showing my annotation.
    Last edited by rmk; 2017-04-02 at 03:10 PM. Reason: add a picture

Login to Give a bone

This is the process I used.

Select the alignment
    Add labels: Station/Offset - Fixed point (Station/Offset will also work, you'll just have to pick the station and offset separately. Fixed point is fewer picks)
    Select the point with the Node snap (at this point the label will be placed but it will show ??? for the point description. Note the command line is requesting more info, the cogo point)
    Select the point (pick any portion of the point marker, in the example this would be any part of the red X)
    The command line will now prompt you for the next location, however after you select it you won't be prompted for the next cogo point ... it holds on to the prior cogo point and uses it again. This is where you need to exit and restart the command for each point in order to get a unique cogo point selection

If you should end the command and are left with a label that is missing its cogo point, or has the wrong point, you can fix it. Select the label and the properties window will sow a line for the cogo point. Select that line and a green box will appear at the end. Select the box and you're back to the point where you can select the cogo point. Pick any part of its marker that is visible.
    Last edited by MMccall; 2017-04-02 at 04:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast