Thread: Bad drafters & accuracy

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Bad drafters & accuracy

Seems like almost every office I've been in there's one person in the office who refuses to set the accuracy to high and draws by nudging stuff around as well as eye-balling where stuff is drawn. Lines are never straight, and everything is drawn so it measures 3'0 17/256" instead of just 3'.

I consider this lazy drafting because they don't want to take the time to draw it right to begin with.

Over the course of a drawing, the drawings are off by several inches, details are wrong and impossible to accurately see how the detail really fits together because it's not right.

They will argue that you don't build to the nearest 1/256" so why should they be bothered to draw it any more accurately than they are going to build it.

Everyone in the office is then forced to their level of bad drafting and fight with drawings to pull out of them accurate information.

Once again, I find myself in this position.

So, I'm curious to hear how others deal with it when you have no ability to kick the offender to the curb. What sorts of arguments do others use to offset their rhetoric in staff meetings?

Thanks!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Bad drafters & accuracy

HI
    If you find out let me know. I just had and Architect send me the footprint of his building that wasn't square or didn't close by inches for a 45 by 70 building. Seems a little extreme to me. If you don't have time to do it right the first time around you definitely do have time to do it again

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Bad drafters & accuracy

I would lobby those in power to kick the people to the curb. Barring that if there is some way to kick the work back to them for corrections they might get tired of reworking things. In the good old days blueprints were sent to a checker who would then mark up the prints in red and send 'em back. Try that. There really is no excuse for that type of drafting.