Thread: Dimensions changing after a print/plot

Login to Give a bone

Default Dimensions changing after a print/plot

I have been experiencing this for a while now (I'm on ACAD 2016, but it's been doing this since at least 2013), and it is driving me crazy.

I will place a string of dimensions (using linear and continue) and sometimes after a plot or a publish – the text will change from, say 10” to 10.0000 or 12’-8” to 152.0000 (usually converting feet to decimal inches, or inches to decimals). I can’t figure out why it does this, nor can I ‘force it to change’. It perhaps has something to do with matching properties, as the ones it ‘usually’ hits are dims that I have modified properties on – changed extension line styles, or visibility, that sort of thing – then applied a MP to similar strings. But again, I can’t make it happen, so I don’t know if that is it.

Anyone else have this issue, or have a solution? It’s irritating, as it happens after the plot or publish, so it occasionally creeps into final package sets.

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimensions changing after a print/plot

Quote Originally Posted by magnusonzach View Post
    I have been experiencing this for a while now (I'm on ACAD 2016, but it's been doing this since at least 2013), and it is driving me crazy.

I will place a string of dimensions (using linear and continue) and sometimes after a plot or a publish – the text will change from, say 10” to 10.0000 or 12’-8” to 152.0000 (usually converting feet to decimal inches, or inches to decimals). I can’t figure out why it does this, nor can I ‘force it to change’. It perhaps has something to do with matching properties, as the ones it ‘usually’ hits are dims that I have modified properties on – changed extension line styles, or visibility, that sort of thing – then applied a MP to similar strings. But again, I can’t make it happen, so I don’t know if that is it.

Anyone else have this issue, or have a solution? It’s irritating, as it happens after the plot or publish, so it occasionally creeps into final package sets.

Thanks!
    Wow never heard of such a thing... sounds like something is triggering a dimension variable change.
    What happens if you simply do a "regenall" after you place the dimensions?

How do you do dimensions? Do you have styles that you use per scale? Do you set variables on the fly? Do you dimension objects in MS or PS?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    Wow never heard of such a thing... sounds like something is triggering a dimension variable change.
    What happens if you simply do a "regenall" after you place the dimensions?

How do you do dimensions? Do you have styles that you use per scale? Do you set variables on the fly? Do you dimension objects in MS or PS?
    regenall doesn't change them. Only a plot or a publish will (as far as I can tell). I usually work in a 1:1 style and dimension in paper space. The ones I see changing most often are ones where I have used the dim continue function, gone in and made 'overrides' - shutting off a extension line, or changing it to a centerline type - sometimes relocating the text - and then using match properties on other ones. But it also happens to 'unmodified' ones as well, and I can't get the problem to replicate when I want to. If I delete the offending dimension, and replace it, it seems to stay.

Login to Give a bone

AUDIT is a good fallback to try when weird things happen... also PURGE out everything that you don't know you need, and -PURGE R to get rid of RegApps.

Login to Give a bone

I ran an AUDIT on the couple of sheets that I remember it happing to (including my one from the other day) - no luck. Audit did not pick up any errors. No idea if a purge would help, as I can't get the issue to replicate under 'controlled conditions'.

Login to Give a bone

Did you find a solution to the dimension problem? I am having the same problems and can't fix it. I have audited, I have purged out the dimensions and recreated them, nothing worked. It is only my paperspace dimensions, but I can't find what variable will fix the problem.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

daniel.klingspor was able to fix the issue with the DIMREASSOCIATE command: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autoc...g/td-p/6629622
    In his original post he stated "At the same time a style override showed up out of nowhere." Many modify DIM variables without realizing it affects the current Dimension Style.

Check in the Dim Style editor for overrides.