Thread: Dimension Scale Changes on Reopening

Login to Give a bone

Default Dimension Scale Changes on Reopening

Hello,

My firm has been having trouble with dimension scale changes when re-opeing an AutoCAD file. For example, one dimension, set to 9" was 3' after the file was saved an reopened. Not all of the dimensions change though. Only some do. We are currently using AutoCAD 2014.

After searching some forums, it seemed that the problem was that our file had "Automatically Create Dimscale Override" checked in the Drawing Setup (AECDWGSETUP). But when I tried to uncheck this, I got the following error:

Command not allowed because drawing contains objects from a newer version of this application.

These may be objects from AutoCAD 2017 or 2018. I've tried saving the file down in AutoCAD 2018 to 2010 and 2013. I got the same error both times. Likewise when I saved down from AutoCAD 2014 to 2010 or 2013. And I could not change this setting in AutoCAD 2018 because it seems it no longer exists.

I also could not find a way to locate the objects from a newer version in the file.

Does anyone know of any work-around or solution?

Thanks!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimension Scale Changes on Reopening

HI
    Reopen the dwg in the newer version and EXPORT back to the version you are using. You can't export back if you have any locked layers or xref's. this will change all intelligent objects into primitives. And should remove all Newer Civil3D styles

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimension Scale Changes on Reopening

I,ve never heard of dimscale overrides and it affecting measured lengths. Dimscale only affects the size of the dimension features like arrows. It does not affect measured lengths.

A dimstyle override is saved in the dimension and will not change when the drawing is saved/reopened. The only way it will change is if you manually edit the properties of the dimension or the dimension style.

A dimension style would have to be edited in the drawing to change the Measurement Scale Factor for a the length to change.

Note: I've seen previous versions have this problem, not in 2014 SP1. Maybe the drawing files you are using were created in an earlier version of AutoCAD, which would go along with the previous post from remi678731. At that time the only fix we could think of was to explode the dimension once it was input and changed the dimaso dimension variable to 0 for new drawings. Not the best solution but it got the drawings issued.