See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow have to wait several minutes between CLICKS

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Slow have to wait several minutes between CLICKS

I will click after command initiation, and then I will have to wait several minutes (really MINUTES) before my system will finish "thinking" to allow me to perform another command. My system is: 6 core processor 3.5 GHz, Win 10 Pro, 32 GB RAM, 64 bit and running a stand alone version of 2016 vanilla.
    Is there anyone with advice on how to speed my system? I'm DYING !
    thanks
    JT

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Slow have to wait several minutes between CLICKS

Is the drawing saved on your local drive or on the network? How quick is the Line command? My PC is screaming fast now, but referencing GIS data on the network takes forever.

Login to Give a bone

Is it always this way? You don't provide much info to troubleshoot with. Have you tried rebooting? If you go to Windows Task Manager and click on the Processes tab (sort on CPU), it can tell you if some other process is slowing you down.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

installed local, but the drawing file is on our network. "Line" command is no problem. It's definitely a sure thing for a long wait when I have the layers dialogue box open or switching in and out from block editor. Or sometimes something as simple as a move command.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, been tormenting me for a long time. Even if I reboot it's not helpful. I've been in task mgr and AutoCAD is the biggest strain. Topping my memory usage at 26%. Not really an issue but a good idea.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I draw everything on a local drive and copy it to the network afterwards to share. If you can do your work 5 times faster who's going to complain?

Login to Give a bone

Same dwg? or all dwgs? You say "sometimes". That would indicate that this is an intermittent problem... Try to find a symptom that is consistent and reproducible.

When in task manager, 26% is low. Take note of what else is taking up the other 75%.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I've had a weird scenario in the past at a small company with only two CAD machines. If one of the machines had a bad path location in their settings it would take both machines down to a crawl.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Can someone in your office check out the DWGs you struggle with and work at a faster rate? That'd be your #1 check to see if it's a you problem or a DWG problem. Also being on the network doesn't mean it will be slow, but it could be if you're referencing a DWG not in your office.

My company has several offices spread out around the state, and our IT department is ticketed from time to time complaining about slow DWGs. Since they're not CAD wizards they can't do much, but they'll tell them that they're communicating with a server not from their office (because they can see the network traffic). Sometimes it devolves into "No...I'm not working off that drive" to which they respond "Well ok dude, but I'm watching the other office's server send tons of information to your computer so you can tell me you're not, but your drawing is definitely doing something with that server." Eventually the realization becomes something along the lines of "Oh god, xref."

You shouldn't have a slow computer just because you're using a network's DWG, but if it, or anything it interacts with, is not on your office's server you will likely feel it to some degree. Additionally if your CAD references filepaths for settings on another server you could also be suffering from that as well.

And as Tom pointed out if you're in a big drawing with something like high res photos you are pretty much destined to be slow, regardless of being local or not.

You could also play with hardware acceleration by turning that on or off (which it currently isn't) and see if that does anything. I've seen some crazy things for some machines get solved by playing with it.

Login to Give a bone

thank you, good advice - will explore these options!

Login to Give a bone

Ed,
    I haven't ben able to find the common denominator yet. It's driving me crazy. The slow response to command time is not consistent. The majority of all my files are x-reffed. I have all my title blocks as overlays and all other x-refs as attached. The cache time when switching back and forth from model and paper is prolonged terribly too. This happens in multiple drawings but not all, all of the time. Opening block editor is a definite problem as is maneuvering around in the layers dialogue box. Any clicking in the layes dialogue box in EVERY drawing is very prolonged. Thanks for your time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast