Thread: The Ability to insert a PDF

Wish List Administration

Default The Ability to insert a PDF

Summary: The Ability to insert a PDF like we have been able to do in AutoCAD for years.

Description: The Ability to insert a PDF like we have been able to do in AutoCAD for years would be fantastic, it is beyond belief that this basic ability is beyond Revit. The most popular way drawings are distributed, bar non, is PDF and yet Revit can't bring them. A lot of effort has be made to enhance PDF options in AutoCAD but nothing in Revit. Please give us this ability to directly insert a PDF. We don't need any fancy enhancements like auto-scaling, just the basics would be a HUGE benefit.

Product and Feature: Revit Architecture - Other

Submitted By: Markox on 08/23/2017

100 Club

Default Re: The Ability to insert a PDF

This has been a long standing request, Autodesk appears to have been digging their heels in, instead pushing their own defunct DWF format instead of universally accepted PDF. FWIW, Archicad has had PDF importing features since at least 2006.
    Ideally, we could insert a PDF and explode it like a DWG file, or use it as an underlay, either for tracing or to save redrawing details -- the obvious advantage over images, aside from convenience, is scalability -- you can rescale a vector PDF and it's still legible (while raster images in Revit are inherently rubbish at any scale).

Has Revit 2020 satisfied this wish?

I could stop if I wanted to Simon.Whitbread's Avatar

Yep, this is fixed - to some degree. You can link and resize a pdf in much the same way as a jpg - it's handled like a raster image although you can measure from it.

imo though, I've no idea why you would want to explode ANYTHING in Revit that was non-Revit generated, it's too horrible to contemplate. And even if you were to explode a dwg I wouldn't be doing it in a project, clean the file, import it into a container file, explode, clean and then use.

I did an AU presentation on it (re-using, not pdf): Innovating-Ways-Transition-2D-3D-Reusing-2D-Content-Revit-Families-2017

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: The Ability to insert a PDF

This wish has been reported as granted and already in the software.

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: The Ability to insert a PDF

This wish has been reported by a member.

This thread is closed to further posts while the request is being reviewed by administrators.