Thread: Label a Quick Profile

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Label a Quick Profile

I have a drainage swale with a feature line along the centerline. i did a quick profile of the centerline and would like to annotate the slope or % grade of the various segments along it.

is this possible in a quick profile due to the nature of it not being permanent? i don't see any styles that show grade.

also, does anyone have a suggestion as to where to learn more about profile styles and how to edit them.....there are so many components to deal with.

i realize that's where all the time and money is, but is there somewhere that at least shows you which style controls what labels.
    Last edited by rmk; 2017-09-18 at 05:24 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Label a Quick Profile

Quote Originally Posted by rmk View Post
    I have a drainage swale with a feature line along the centerline. i did a quick profile of the centerline and would like to annotate the slope or % grade of the various segments along it.

is this possible in a quick profile due to the nature of it not being permanent? i don't see any styles that show grade.

also, does anyone have a suggestion as to where to learn more about profile styles and how to edit them.....there are so many components to deal with.

i realize that's where all the time and money is, but is there somewhere that at least shows you which style controls what labels.
    Sounds like you are looking for a Profile Line Label. Profiles have some many different areas to label. View, band, utilities, lines, geometry, etc. If you could be more specific as to what you are trying to label, I am sure a more specific answer can be provided.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

basically all aspects, but specifically now would be the station and elevation of the grade breaks and the slope or grade of the different segments along the centerline.
    it's not a constant slope, it's broken up into multiple segments all having a different grade.

Login to Give a bone

basically all aspects, but specifically now would be the station and elevation of the grade breaks and the slope or grade of the different segments along the centerline.
    it's not a constant slope, it's broken up into multiple segments all having a different grade.
    HI
    You can label the quick profile with all the same data as the standard profile. if you select it there should be a context sensitive ribbon appear. also if you explode the quick profile it will remain but lose all intelligent data. I use that sometimes for a simpler detail depending on requirements

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

another question i have is: in the attached image the profile starts a 0+00 at an elevation of 12.26. it may not be clear in the image, but the profile line graphically at that point is below the 12' line in the profile view. and when annotated it displays 12.26 as the elevation. anybody have an explanation as to how this is possible? the cogo point the feature line is drawn from is 12.26 and using the elevation editor, the feature line elevation at that point is 12.26

found the problem. the profile view style settings for the vertical axis settings were 2.5 instead of 2
    Last edited by rmk; 2017-09-19 at 01:07 PM.

Login to Give a bone

For Grade Breaks - Settings > Profile > Label Styles > Grade Breaks

For Slopes - Settings > Profile > Label Styles > Line

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

For some reason, it will not apply the profile style to the quick profile.
    i manually drew a profile and it annotated it fine. the only way i am able to annotate the quick profile is by using profile view labels for the station and elevation and grade.
    totally confused. see attached image. the red dashed profile is the quick profile
    Last edited by rmk; 2017-09-19 at 07:12 PM.

Login to Give a bone

If you're taking the time to annotate the quick profile, it might just be simplest to throw an alignment down, and use that to cut the surface profiles and draw the design profile.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

this is true..in reality how much time do you really save with a quick profile. if all you're doing is taking a look at the section, i guess it's worth it or if you're looking at multiple locations and don't want to draw a bunch of different alignments.
    i was just curious why it wouldn't annotate it. still in the early learning stages of sections and profiles.

thanks for the input.