Thread: Motherboard CPU Advice

Login to Give a bone

Default Motherboard CPU Advice

To All:

Most computer ads today, seem to be geared to gamers. But my interest is in upping the performance of my 5 year old desktop. Is it the case that a motherboard and processor that's optimum for games is also best for AutoCAD or should I be looking at hardware that is more specific to AutoCAD's demands, to make my experience the best it can be (within my budget of course). Any thoughts would be appreciated - especially suggestions for motherboards and Intel processors. Thanks for any advice you may have . . .

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Motherboard CPU Advice

Just a quick response as I'm only using a mobile phone.

You've probably heard that CAD is largely single threaded and high CPU speed is king. I tend to agree with that, and of course those same requirements are akin to a Gaming CPU.

I suppose reliability is of greater importance to you, as CAD generates income, most of the time. "Ultra Durable" Motherboards from Gigabyte are very impressive, go that route rather than the pretty LEDs Asus, MSI, Asrock, etc., will all have their own way of saying a "robust mobo".

AMD Ryzen are claimed to be cheap and fairly good with CAD, although if it were my money I'd stay safe and stick to Intel.

The GPU decision is tricky, first whether you'd like to go Quadro or Geforce, or AMD's offerings. That's something your wallet decides, especially with the bananas pricing at present due to mining. I'm actually thinking of getting a P1000 (affordable) or even P2000 (less affordable) as it offers quad display and hasn't attracted the attention of the miners so far.

Something you could also do is check out the performance of your current system, using one of many benchmark tools. I've used one from pass mark today which was quite good. Know what you have now may aid in your decisions for the replacement. Better still, your current machine may even be upgraded if it has a CPU running 4+ cores at 3.5GHz.

Perhaps mention your budget as well as your current system spec. Also your primary use (2D or 3D). Hope that helps and doesn't make matters worse for you!

Login to Give a bone

Generally speaking, get the highest clock speed CPU that is available for the motherboard of your choice.
    Then load up on RAM, get a fast SSD drive, and unless you are doing a lot of complex 3D stuff, save your $$ on the graphics card. I don't mean get a $50 one, but you probably don't need a $1,000 one either.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Here I m telling you some good recommendation of PC which is also in your budget and have a good performance in 2D and 3D CAD and they are :
    1. Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B250M-K mATX Motherboard
    2. Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro K1200
    3. C.P.U: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.20 GHz

Login to Give a bone

I was planning on attaching 6 3tb WD red drives to it. It's main use will be a Plex Media Server.
    I've decided to pull the trigger on the deal and got the Motherboard and CPU for £170. Is this as good of a deal as I thought? Both were used but working and can be returned.

Login to Give a bone

hope it will be helpful