See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: AutoCAD 2014 LT only works when laptop conected to the server?

Login to Give a bone

Question AutoCAD 2014 LT only works when laptop conected to the server?

I am running AutoCAD 2014 LT on my HP laptop with Windows 10. When I am at work my laptop is connected to a server and AutoCAD runs properly; not fast but properly and does not crash. If I leave work and try t run AutoCAD, it will crash at the first command. it will open and looks normal but with the first command, like opening a pull down menu, it will crash. The only common issue that I can think of is not being connected to the office server.

Is there a system file or something on my server that I can move to my laptop to make AutoCAD run properly?

Thanks,
    Ken.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2014 LT only works when laptop conected to the server?

When you are not at work, are you connected to any other network?
    I would try disconnecting the network cable (if any), and disable WiFi - just as a test.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    When you are not at work, are you connected to any other network?
    I would try disconnecting the network cable (if any), and disable WiFi - just as a test.
    Network printers and plot styles too. But none of that should cause a hard crash.

Another couple of easy tests:
    - check the command line history (the entire thing, most users only show a couple of lines); AutoCAD will usually give you a heads-up when something's not right
    - disable hardware acceleration temporarily; if that solves it there's a conflict with the graphics system, likely the driver (you didn't mention about plugging in monitors or using a docking station at work vs. home?)

Login to Give a bone

By any chance, are you using a network license and starting acad at work, leave it running and then removing the laptop from the network? If so, you need to run BORROWLICENSE while connected to the network. It shouldn't just crash but give an error that the license server was lost.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

When at work I do plug into an external TV used as a monitor. When at work today, I disconnected the network cable and turned off WIFI. It loaded and seemed to work although I did not spend much time in it. It would open files. I was still plugged into the TV. I am using the laptop screen when at home.

When I came home this evening, I turned off WIFI and that dd not help it and I am not connected to a network here. The program will load and when you go to open a file from the folder button or chose a recent file, that is when it crashes. There is no command line history to check. If I check before the crash, it does not show any error messages.

I went through Options and Performance and turned off the hardware acceleration with no changes. IT still crashed.

This is not a network license that I know of. It is only on my laptop.

I did find an error log and this is what it said:

FATAL ERROR: Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0x0000 Exception at 83133a61h

12/05/2017 at 20:20:07.947 Drawing: Drawing1.dwg

I appreciate all the suggestions. Anymore I could try?

Login to Give a bone

Well, here is what I have tried so far:
    While at home, I turned off wifi and that didn't seem to do anything.
    While at work, I disconnected from the network and it seemed to work OK. It is not connected to a network at home.
    At work it is connect to a 30" TV and at home it is just the laptop screen. I disconnected from the TV at work and that DID seem to make a difference because it crashed as before. I tried several different configurations where it was connected to the network and disconnect and if it is connected to the TV, it works. If is not connected to the TV it will crash. To clarify, it is not connected via a docking station. i have a poor boy method of just connecting to the TV via HDMI cable and then closing the laptop while it still runs.
    I did find an error log that siad this:

FATAL ERROR: Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0x0000 Exception at 83133a61h

12/05/2017 at 20:20:07.947 Drawing: Drawing1.dwg

Any additional Ideas? I appreciate all the help.

Thanks,
    Ken

Login to Give a bone

Set FILEDIA to 0, then try to open a drawing (you will not get a dialog, and will have to type [or paste] in the full path and filename to open).

This test avoids calling the OPEN dialog.

Login to Give a bone

Well, i thought that we had it figured out as some kind of display problem but that is not it. I brought the laptop home and connected it to the same TV that i am using at work and it still crashes.

I changed the FILEDIA to 0 and that doesn't seem to work either. It did allow me to get a file open but as soon as it tried it input something on the command line, the program crashed.

I am at a loss. I can use the program for hours at work with no issues but I cant do anything with it at home. The only thing that I know I don't have at home is the server.

Is there something else I should try?

Login to Give a bone

I have also figured this out; if I open the file directly from Windows, it will open and I can work in the file without issues until I try to save it. Once I try to save it, the program will crash.

Login to Give a bone

As a test, log into the PC as a new (different) user, one who has never logged onto this machine before.
    Run ACAD from home.
    Any issues?