Thread: Upgrade Software Backend

Wish List Administration

Default Upgrade Software Backend

Summary: If you don't vote for this, you're not trying hard enough - AutoCAD's backend needs a serious update. It's easily bottlenecked from any hardware component. The software needs its efficiency improved on a dramatic level.

Description: If you don't vote for this, you're not trying hard enough - AutoCAD's backend needs a serious update. It's easily bottlenecked from any hardware component. The software needs its efficiencies improved on a dramatic level.

Almost every competitor software in the market is capable of using multithreading and RAM capping. Autodesk is far behind the curve in its potential operating potential. I think Autodesk is too concerned about pumping out quality of life features and not concerned enough about the modernization of their software foundation. Several modeling softwares and suites are capable of computing, modifying and rendering intensely complex features without a sweat, while Autodesk programs are crippled. Render speeds are atrociously slow compared to third party vendors.

The amount of time that has been wasted to software seizes and crashes could be quantified. Imagine how much time has been wasted across the spectrum of Autodesk users.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD Civil 3D - Other

Submitted By: sebastien795355 on 01/09/2018

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: Upgrade Software Backend

Upgrade Software Backend

Summary: If you don't vote for this, you're not trying hard enough - AutoCAD's backend needs a serious update. It's easily bottlenecked from any hardware component. The software needs its efficiency improved on a dramatic level.

Description: If you don't vote for this, you're not trying hard enough - AutoCAD's backend needs a serious update. It's easily bottlenecked from any hardware component. The software needs its efficiencies improved on a dramatic level.

Almost every competitor software in the market is capable of using multithreading and RAM capping. Autodesk is far behind the curve in its operating potential. I think Autodesk is too concerned about pumping out quality of life features and not concerned enough about the modernization of their software foundation. Several modeling softwares and suites are capable of computing, modifying and rendering intensely complex features without a sweat, while Autodesk programs are crippled. Render speeds are atrociously slow compared to third party vendors.

The amount of time that has been wasted to software seizes and crashes could be quantified. Imagine how much time has been wasted across the spectrum of Autodesk users.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD Civil 3D - Other

Submitted By: sebastien795355 on 01/09/2018

Default Re: Upgrade Software Backend

R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

AUGI Addict

Some patience may be what's required, at least for rendering. Since Arnold is now under the Autodesk umbrella, I expect it will eventually replace RapidRT as the standard render engine for most of the platforms.

HOWEVER, if much work is done on rendering for the AutoCAD platform I think there will be a minor revolt as there are far better products doing so. And most AutoCAD and vertical (e.g. Civil3D) product users aren't doing much if any rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by dgorsman View Post
    ... And most AutoCAD and vertical (e.g. Civil3D) product users aren't doing much if any rendering.
    Especially with the advent of InfraWorks; despite all of its glaring interop fails with native Civil 3D Objects, Labels, etc., it's still pretty simple to create eye-catching models that Clients & public can interact with, if not video clips & screenshots for demo purposes.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Although I agree completely with your sentiment, I can't vote for this. This is not a "serious update." It's completely different product.

To make use of multiple processors, the Autocad database would have to be completely changed. It is a deliberately sequential database. The effect of this is that "simultaneous" processing of almost every activity (there are a few functions that can) is an impossibility. Here's what would have to happen:

- The database would have to be redesigned.
    - The Autocad core programming would have to be thrown out and completely rewritten from the ground up. From scratch....
    - All AutoLISP (and its more recent variants) functionality would disappear and in the process much of the 3rd party software ability would be gone. AutoLISP goes hand in hand with sequential data organization. They belong with each other and only with each other. They are inseparable.

As I said, I feel your pain. However, this is not merely a "serious update." What you are wishing for is an entirely new and different product that simply would not be anything like AutoCAD. It couldn't be. The AutoCAD products that we know, love and hate are anchored to their inherent inability to make use of a multi-processing environment.

In reflection, this will probably some day be the demise of our beloved ACAD.

you are correct that the database would need to be redesigned and the AutoCAD core rebuilt to work with multithread computing functions. They have done it before. from Acad for DOS 1 up to version 12, then the port to Windows and the subsequent total rewrite to make it a true Windows platform program, the core has been replaced at least three times.

I don't agree that AutoLISP would be gone due to that process. LISP has been a part of the AutoCAD environment since the DOS versions. it has never gone away during the previous rewrites; I see no reason it would now. I know that LISP is short for List Processing so it does work in a sequential order. That does not mean it can't use data from a multithread database, just that a translator; a traffic gate of somekind would need to be employed to feed back and forth.

I think the biggest reason AutoDesk does not put much into this level of upgrade for AutoCAD, ACA, or Civil 3D is that they eventually want them to go away and their whole customer base move over to Revit. Unlikely anytime soon.