See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Launch Civil 3D from double clicking DWG and NOT acad map

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Launch Civil 3D from double clicking DWG and NOT acad map

I've tried for years to get my people to stop double clicking a DWG file from Windows Explorer to launch AutoCAD/Civil 3d but for some reason they insist on doing it. My issue is that they need to be in Civil 3D (blue icon) but when you double click the file from explorer it brings up "Civil 3D" (blue icon at the top of AutoCAD) but it's still just acad map (Red icon) in the Windows taskbar. When AutoCAD is initially launched this way we run into fatal errors every 10 minutes when a Civil 3D file is opened for edit. My question is, how do I get a double click from Explorer to launch Civil 3D and not acad map? I've tried to associate the file type to the AutoCAD Launcher app and I've pointed it to the shortcut that has all of the acad switches in it that tells acad.exe to launch as Civil 3D but neither works. It always opens up the "red icon" acad. Once the desktop shortcut is clicked and the correct Civil 3D is open and running, you can double click files all day without issue. It's just that initial double click that's causing the trouble.

I'll never be able to "unteach" the double click method so is there any way I can make Civil 3D launch properly from double clicking in Explorer?

Thanks in advance

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Launch Civil 3D from double clicking DWG and NOT acad map

You've already told them how to do it correctly. If they're still lacking the mental tools to open Civil 3D I wouldn't rely them to work with it either. Fire them and when interviewing replacements have them show you they can open Civil 3D by themselves.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Coolmo View Post
    I'll never be able to "unteach" the double click method so is there any way I can make Civil 3D launch properly from double clicking in Explorer?
    Short answer is, No - even when you modify the OpenLaunch REG_SZ (see below) to be the exact same as your desired Application Icon's Target Path... Everything is loaded properly in terms of Civil 3D functionality, but the taskbar icon still depicts the red AutoCAD icon. Grrr

If you're not able to have them replaced, consider this numpty repellent:

First, save this to a .BAT file on their C:\ drive... For the purposes of this example, I'll use C:\CAD\FOO.bat (you can always use something more elegant, like PowerShell, Visual Studio, etc this is just a quick example):
    Code:
    @echo off

title Stop Double-Clicking DWGs, Open In Civil 3D Instead

color 4E

echo/
    echo/
    echo ********************************************************************
    echo *                                                                  *
    echo *                   Stop Double-Clicking DWGs!                     *
    echo *                    Open In Civil 3D Instead                      *
    echo ********************************************************************
    echo/
    echo/

::timeout 5 > NUL
    pause
    Next, using RegEdit.exe, navigate to this key and export it as a backup for CYA:
    Code:
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\DWGCommon\shellex\Apps\{F29F85E0-4FF9-1068-AB91-08002B27B3D9}:AutoCAD
    Note - The GUID may be different on your machines

Lastly, change the value of OpenLaunch REG_SZ (and maybe PrintLaunch?) to be:
    Code:
    "C:\CAD\FOO.bat"
    ... Now when they double click a DWG in File Explorer, they get this:

Happy numpty hunting!

Cheers
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2018-01-24 at 09:13 PM.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Believe me. Sometimes I wish I could do that but unfortunately that's the way they were taught.

This CAN actually be done because we have one guy in our office running the same system, CAD version and everything, that it actually DOES launch Civil 3D (blue icon) on the initial double click. Unfortunately, he stumbled into how to do it over a year ago and can't remember what he did to make it work. We're getting in touch with our AutoCAD rep/support to see what they suggest. If I get an answer that works, I'll post it here.

Thanks

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

It can easy be done with a few clicks of the mouse, but would have to be changed with each upgrade. It's just fundamentally wrong in so many way we cannot bring ourselves to posting it. They really need to learn how to use the software correctly.

Sorry,

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    You've already told them how to do it correctly. If they're still lacking the mental tools to open Civil 3D I wouldn't rely them to work with it either. Fire them and when interviewing replacements have them show you they can open Civil 3D by themselves.
    THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^ should be the last post in this thread, and marked SOLVED
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Out smart them and they find new ways to do it wrong. Its a vicious cycle.

Login to Give a bone

Wow... Some folks have some pretty strong opinions on something that doesn't really affect folks that already work with smart professionals who correctly open drawings through the correct product. Haha

So, in addition to Autodesk's own KB article recommending the method above (which I couldn't find prior to posting above): How to modify the AutoCAD DWG Launcher to work with the correct software

Once a session of Civil 3D has been launched, from the correct icon on desktop, pinned to taskbar, etc, one can open drawings in that already opened correct version/product/Profile, by simply right clicking the DWG in Explorer, and selecting the desired version from the 'Open With' context menu.

Please take from this (and any of my posts) what you like - ultimately, there is no functional difference to this method than managing your production Profile via LISP (both manage Registry-saved settings) - do with this information what you like.

Cheers

2018-01-25_14-37-43.png

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

I'll also add, that my #1 offender of the 'don't double click DWG from Explorer' CAD Commandment, is my Surveyor... Who also happens to be VP of the Firm... So this whole 'fire them' thang is a pipe dream.

Just because one knows how to do things better, or more correctly, doesn't mean it isn't highly lucrative to be in what others might consider to be 'waster management' or 'crime scene cleanup'. Haha

#SemperGumby

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

Don't forget the wise words of Mark Kiker: "Don’t let a management problem become a technology problem"
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast