Thread: Units

Login to Give a bone

Default Units

I think it would be great if there was more documentation/clarity on how units are used. Typically when using state plane coordinates, coordinates are reported using US Surveyor's feet.
    Even though this would be considered a standard: When exporting, using XML, the default is to use imperial feet. I'm not sure whether this would affect coordinates but I can see it affecting vector data built from coordinates.
    It would also be nice to have clarity when doing coordinate transformations on what is happening- unit wise. Is the international conversion between meters and feet- or is the US survey foot being applied? This creates quite a headache when trying to backtrack.

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Units

The LandXML Import and Export commands, located on the Projects menu, are based on the LandXML schema. For more information about the LandXML schema, go to www.landxml.org.

The LandXML toolbar icons are located on the Projects toolbar:

Import LandXML: [img]mk:@MSITStore:C:Program%20FilesCivil%20Series%202004HelpLand.chm::/images/import_toolbar.gif[/img]

Export LandXML: [img]mk:@MSITStore:C:Program%20FilesCivil%20Series%202004HelpLand.chm::/images/export_toolbar.gif[/img]

All settings related to these commands are user-specific, and they are saved in the LandXMLImpExp.cfg file. This file is stored in the \data\pref folder of Autodesk Land Desktop.

They expect you to know something about the schema in order to use it I guess?!?!

Login to Give a bone

I have a interesting question for you about a different kind of units and dimscales. I use LDD and every once in a while the dimscale will change to something other than what I set it to and then the units will switch to architectural. I have checked the preferences and the drawing set up and just can't figure it out.

Login to Give a bone

If you check out the Old Exchange, you may still be able to find a routine that sets a reactor to ensure the units stay as they should. The unit switch happens when LDT and ADT get confused as to which program is running. If you cannot find the routine, you can send PeterJ a PM and he may still have a copy of it. I am pretty sure he is who wrote it. Back a few years so my memory ain't what it used to be. If you can't find it, I might still have a copy floating around somewhere.

Login to Give a bone

I see that the LandXML export command let users select which type of feet they desire but I'd like to know what type of foot is LDD using when the Project>Drawing setup>Units is set to feet.

Regards,

Dave

Login to Give a bone

I believe that LDT uses US Survey Foot by default for measurements but you may need to verify this depending on the Projection settings for your area in the Project Settings - Drawing Setup.