See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Creating a detail frame that won't print

Login to Give a bone

Default Creating a detail frame that won't print

Hello and thank you for your time. I'm trying to create a detail frame based on size of sheet the detail will be placed on as well as have those frames automatically not print. See image for example in CAD.Attachment 106139
    I've searched and searched for the correct terminology for this, because I know we're not the only ones who use these in Revit, but I just can't seem to find anything even remotely related to creating that.
    I've heard that we should make the frame using the "symbol" family, but that didn't take me very far in getting the frame to not print.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thank you again,
    Jennifer
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating a detail frame that won't print

if you make the line white they won't print. We use an annotation (symbol) family for ours detail bounding box.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Kohl View Post
    if you make the line white they won't print. We use an annotation (symbol) family for ours detail bounding box.
    Thank you Joshua, and forgive me, but if it's a white line how does the drafter view it? Unless you change your Revit background color to black...? And thank you, at least now I can be a little more clear in calling it a "detail bounding box"
    Any additional ideas would be most welcomed!
    Thank you..

Login to Give a bone

I have my background set to 230-230-230, its a a slightly off white color (actual displayed color on screen may vary by monitor brand/model). It also reduces eye strain along with allowing me to see the white lines. You could also make the lines a bright color in their own category and turn off the category before printing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Ah yes, I agree for healthier eyesight that would be beneficial, which we should all do. However, there will still be a leader that will cross those white lines, which for my already skeptic Revit office I don't believe they would accept. But I can give it a shot.. it's the best idea I've received yet. Let me know if you think of anything else? Thanks again!

Login to Give a bone

Attached is our view bounding box. I can't take credit for the original family of this as I took it and adapted it from another user that had previously posted it either on here or over at revitforum. Typically since this box will encompass your entire area of your detail there is usually nothing that crosses the box so that's not a problem for us.

Even if there are annotations/leaders that cross it, I'm not going to let that very minute, nearly imperceptible detail keep me from using something that speeds up my work flow. People are either on the Revit train and fully embrace the software or they will come up with every excuse in the book why it doesn't do what they are used to or why it does things differently than other software <-- steps off my soapbox.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

This is wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing! And as another user mentioned, I can use a view template to turn off the "view bounding box" line family. Very exciting to have this worked out! >> Steps on soapbox - SING IT BROTHER! << steps off..

Login to Give a bone

Not sure what exactly your looking to do here, but I'd look at using layout grids. They don't print, you can basically set the size anyway you'd like, and they don't require another family.

Login to Give a bone

A lot of good answers here.
    I have set up my sheets to include the line-work defining several custom grids and then used an on/off visibility parameter. The parameter shows up in the properties browser where the grid can be turn on or off.

Login to Give a bone

At first I thought you were talking about INSIDE the detail views. For THAT we use Ref. Planes (which should be used with caution, since they have their issues - you just need to keep them all in the same place), but they DO allow us to snap the details to our grid (your "detail frame").

After looking again (with images loaded), it sounds like you're talking about a grid on the Sheet. For the sheet grid, we normally just draw Detail Lines on the sheet (since we print ours), but you could use "<Invisible lines>" in the Titleblock. They aren't immediately visible, but are when you hover over them or select the Titleblock (they can also be snapped to). The advantage is you don't have to worry about the lines crossing anything (as you would with a white line) because they never print. You can also toggle "visibility" of various sets with Yes/No parameters (per ken.peters), so you can have different configurations for different uses.

An alternative (for the details OR the sheet) would be NPLT lines (we use Tim Logan's No Plot add-in). That way you could make them red (or whatever you want - we use a light blue: 0-128-255) so they could be as obvious/visible as you want. You'd have to manually copy them to the sheets you need them on, however.

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    Not sure what exactly your looking to do here, but I'd look at using layout grids. They don't print, you can basically set the size anyway you'd like, and they don't require another family.
    The problem with Guide Grids is that you can't have different horizontal and vertical spacing (see Grid Guides and More control over view placement on sheets [UNDER REVIEW] ideas).