Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Surfaces that represent concrete slabs

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Adding Surfaces that represent concrete slabs

i know i've asked this question before, but haven't really resolved the issue.
    i have an existing ground surface.
    i would like to build a surface depicting a concrete slab for a house. the house has a front stoop that is 4" lower than the slab.
    it also has a patio out back that is 4" lower, and driveway down one side that abuts the house slab.

i know feature lines can't cross or be above each other in the same site. i've experimented with offsetting them by .01' which leaves a slight gap.
    i've also tried creating individual sites and combining them, but that didn't work very well. again the lines that are in the same plane vertically react to each other with wrong results.

i've been building each part separately by offsetting by the .01' and setting the outside feature line to drape onto the surface, etc.
    i plan to paste all the surfaces at the end to create a composite surface.

any ideas on how to achieve this a better and/or more efficient way.

thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Adding Surfaces that represent concrete slabs

For building slabs, I do the offset inwards for the finished floor elevation. The exterior points along the perimeter allow placement of spot elevations for the ground at the corners, because someone always uses an OSNAP when they shouldn't. The one label for the finished floor would be placed somewhere in the middle of the slab.

I also create these surfaces with feature lines as grading objects.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

so do you set the FFE as your inside feature line and use that to grade to the existing surface? being almost vertical, what slope or grade do you use?

Login to Give a bone

The outside feature line (OFL) is placed on the building footprint boundary. I set the elevations of the OFL to the desired ground elevations for the site. Between the two feature lines (inside feature line representing the building FFE and the OFL), I would then place an infill element in a grading group to finish out the surface.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Just curious, I don't use C3D, but (our surveying dept does) any reason you can't use solids for the slabs?
    C:> ED WORKING....

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    Just curious, I don't use C3D, but (our surveying dept does) any reason you can't use solids for the slabs?
    not sure i can explain it properly, but i don't think solids can be part of a surface object. you can create them and display them on the surface, just not sure they can become a 3d part of the surface. others may be able to explain it better.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    That isn't how Civil 3d works. To make a surface, which can look like a collection of 3-sided 3d faces, you have to develop with various object such as points, 3d lines, flat lines, feature lines (a special civil 3d object), and other types of objects. Civil 3d can then show that surface based on a display style. There is more to them, but that is the important part.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    That isn't how Civil 3d works. To make a surface, which can look like a collection of 3-sided 3d faces, you have to develop with various object such as points, 3d lines, flat lines, feature lines (a special civil 3d object), and other types of objects. Civil 3d can then show that surface based on a display style. There is more to them, but that is the important part.
    Too bad you can't mix solids and surfaces.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

You could mix them, but they just won't interact.
    jUSt

Round Rock, TX, USA, Earth, Sol Galaxy, Universe
    Login to Give a bone

I typically do my slabs backwards from Opie's method. I'll offset 0.05 outward and keep the slab matching the outline of the building. Primarily because I also use a line label to label the building, with area, and reference the surface to give the FFE. It pulls the elevation at the polyline that I label. Opie's method makes it easier to add spot elevations, as I tend to have to use a temporarily offset object to snap my labels to.

But, oh how I wish we could just use actual 3d objects and tell Civil 3D to use specific faces of it as surface definition data.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast