See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: revit or autocad or both

Login to Give a bone

Default revit or autocad or both

Trying to get a feel for what is really out there.

I work for a structural consulting firm and we use both Revit and AutoCAD. For some many reasons...but I am curious as to what everyone else is doing. One or the other, or both. And why.

Would love to hear from you.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: revit or autocad or both

New projects: Revit all the way.

Remodel of previous work already in CAD: depends on the extent. Sometimes I have modeled new Revit over CAD backgrounds ... particularly if there is a lot of interior elevation work (restrooms or casework). Sometimes I just give in and do it all in CAD ... and try not to grumble about it, especially when things change ... then change back ... then change ...

Why? Because Revit is generally more efficient and becomes more so the better developed your template and family libraries are. Yes, it takes time to get there, but it's worth it in the long run.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Depends exactly what you are doing. If you are top-down design, but the fabrication work is being sent elsewhere, then Revit all the way but keep AutoCAD around (because there's *always* some DWG content that needs work). If you are heavily involved in the fabrication side with detail design drawings out the wahoo, then it's primarily AutoCAD (or Advance Steel) but keep Revit around for interfacing with the design model.

Login to Give a bone

We are a structural consulting firm, and we do structural design for a Varity of projects, from sign poles, mulit-residential, health care, schools, multi storey highrises, athletic stadiums etc etc.
    But we are not involved in the fabrication side. WE produce working structural drawings for clients. Not shop shop drawings for reinforcing steel or precast concrete etc.

And we use both Revit and AutoCAD. And I am curious as to what other firms out there are doing. WE are sticking with both Revit and AutoCAD as we are client driven and require both platforms. And we find that it just makes sense to use one or the other depending on the scope.

So If any one else has any imput that would be great.