Thread: corridor experiment

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default corridor experiment

i've been playing around with some ideas of using corridors to build concrete house foundations. haven't gotten it to work as hoped just yet.
    anybody have an assembly they care to share or ideas of how to accomplish this?

i was fairly successful with using a link width and slope sub-assembly on each side of the assembly and using the front line of the slab and targeting the rear edge, but it only gives me the top surface.

i then built a sub-assembly from a polyline depicting the shape of a monolithic footing and slab, but it didn't work as hoped. it was a square slab and the last corner didn't clean up like the others.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: corridor experiment

Instead of targeting the rear edge, have you tried targeting a offset line that is closer to the middle of the slab?

Do you have a sample image or drawing to show others to get a better understanding of what you are doing?
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

unfortunately no, the dwg crashed at one point and it didn't save the work i had done and i haven't tried recreating it.

so, are you saying i should try creating it with two regions, basically both halves of the slab? that kinda makes sense, since i'm using a feature line as the alignment, which is a closed alignment, which is what i
    think the problem is by not being able to clean up that last corner.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rmk View Post
    i was fairly successful with using a link width and slope sub-assembly on each side of the assembly and using the front line of the slab and targeting the rear edge, but it only gives me the top surface.
    For what purpose are you wanting the corridor model of the foundations to serve? Do you want a surface of the foundation, or a visualization of the shapes? If it is a surface you want from it, I'm not sure how that could be accomplished with so many 90 degree angles. If you are wanting the shapes, you could use some of the OOTB retaining wall subassemblies that would get you close and extract the shapes from the corridor.

You have sub-assembly composer as an option too if you want to try and create your own.

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: corridor experiment

If its the solid that you want, and the shape of the solid is constant, you could also try the SWEEP command (also available by switching to the 3D modeling workspace). The sweep command allows you basically take a consistent 2D shape and pull it along a path (like an alignment/profile, or featureline) to create a surface or solid object. See the link below for help for using the SWEEP command.

AutoCAD Civil 3D Help: About Creating a Solid or Surface by Sweeping

If your wall varies in height, and therefore you need to be able to target an elevation, I would second the previous suggestion to look at using one of the retaining wall subassemblies or look into creating a custom subassembly in subassembly composer.