Thread: Need To Trim Extruded Solid Or Surface

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Need To Trim Extruded Solid Or Surface

Hello folks. Am polishing up on my AutoCAD 3D and am stuck with trimming either an extruded SOLID or SURFACE.

All the tutorials I have gone through all have interior walls up the the ceiling (typical of residential interior walls). In this situation, the interior walls goes up to the roof's bottom. Am attaching two samples of a SOLID and an EXTRUDED CAD files. My goal it to trim off the top part of the structure at the 'roof' line. I was able to use the SUBTRACT function by creating a solid roof block. However, I would like to know how to trim off the top part with an extruded polyline (surface).

I am using AutoCAD 2018/2019 but the files I attached are all saved to the 2013 format.

Thanks in advance.

-------------------------- SOLUTION FOUND ----------------------------------------

I just found the answer to my post. The "TRIM" function did it; however, I had to select the individual zones (rooms) to trim. I could not use a cross-windows selection.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by omorah; 2018-05-13 at 07:06 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Need To Trim Extruded Solid Or Surface

Slice command works well also. Lets you select three points to set a slicing plane and lets you pick which side to keep. Took two slice routines to make the wall fit under the roof planes. Not sure what you wanted to do with the surface model but you can slice it too.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dervin View Post
    Slice command works well also. Lets you select three points to set a slicing plane and lets you pick which side to keep. Took two slice routines to make the wall fit under the roof planes. Not sure what you wanted to do with the surface model but you can slice it too.
    I found the "SLICE" function from AutoCAD's help just before I got your message. Thank you 'devin', well appreciated.
    Of all, the "SLICE" command was much better.

Solid Editing (Home Tab) - Slice

Now, I encountered some issues I need help with. Just wondering if there is a variable that controls when using the SUBRACT function with respect to selected surfaces. I don't know how it happened. In the attached file, the left building became one entity. In this case, I had to select all the walls before subtracting all the openings. Here, the building became one entity or block surface. I had to do it all over again, but this time, I had to select each wall surface (second building on the right).

I felt there has to be a better way to do this without selecting walls individually, I tried it again by selecting all the walls, this time, the result was separate walls. I DO NOT know what I did differently.

So, is there a variable that makes all selected walls remain individual entity after the subtraction function?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Not that I know of. I noticed that you are working with surfaces. Is there a particular reason to use surfaces?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dervin View Post
    Not that I know of. I noticed that you are working with surfaces. Is there a particular reason to use surfaces?
    Yes I use surfaces simply because I need to be able to select a room walls as one unit, that is to have all the walls physically connected to each other (as a "PLined-Wall").

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, I was curious.
    Also, look into the group command. Just a thought. It allows you to group different objects and you can ungroup them for editing then group them again. Objects keep their characteristics. May not work for your application.

Login to Give a bone

Yep, Grouping would work. However, the issue I have with Grouping is, when you open a file with grouped property, you can't tell it is grouped, not even in the property tab. Not a common function in most offices. Went to a user group meeting (Anchorage, Alaska) few months ago and brought it up. None of the eight people in the meeting uses Grouping in their respective offices.

Thanks for the though!

Login to Give a bone

Properties palette and quick properties list it as a group in the top of the palette where is shows you the objects that are selected. "List" also shows it as a group and gives the group name. With the Group Manager you can select the group name and select highlight and it will make all instances of the group a dashed highlighted line.

I use grouping all the time. Have had no negative issues with it. Its much faster than blocks and easier to add to and remove from a group.

Some addon programs (like CadWorx) uses groups to define their objects. Sometimes in those programs, grouping can cause problems if you group their objects with other objects. It becomes a nested group and Autocad gives it a different name and the addon program doesn't know what it is. I said all this to say that groups are not fail-safe but are good as long as you are just using AutoCad.
    Last edited by dervin; 2019-07-23 at 08:18 PM. Reason: recent experience