See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Intersecting gradings with different slopes and program keeps freezing on the second one

Login to Give a bone

Default Intersecting gradings with different slopes and program keeps freezing on the second one

I'm not very proficient with Civil 3d because I don't get the opportunity to use it often. I created two feature lines that form a rough rectangle. I created two grading groups to grade to my finished elevation. One feature line has a 3:1 slope, the other 4:1. I was able to grade the first line, but every time I try to grade the second, C3D freezes. I'm not sure if it's because I'm doing something wrong/not best practice/etc, or if my computer doesn't have enough "power".

Win 7 Pro, SP1 64 bit
    Intel Core i5-3470 CPU @ 3.2 GHz
    8 GB RAM
    Civil 3D 2018

File located here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2tz0b3ugf...018.1.dwg?dl=0

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Intersecting gradings with different slopes and program keeps freezing on the second one

I'm assuming you are grading the second feature line on the right toward the currently graded feature line on the left.

First, your existing surface appears to have vegetation included within the model. You might try to flatten those areas to help with your existing surface.

I would join the two feature lines before grading. They are on the same site, so they will interact where they cross anyway. Once joined, I would grade the most of the left side using the desired criteria, leaving a length on each end to allow for a transition between slopes. Then repeat with the right side of the feature line, again leaving space on each end to allow for a transition. Once you have graded each side with the desired criteria, add a transition slope between the two previous grading objects.

Also, you may need to invest in a bit more RAM. That is a tad low for Civil 3D. It is doable, but is not recommended. I've worked with it with less. It was not enjoyable to work with.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Intersecting gradings with different slopes and program keeps freezing on the second one

Thanks, I'll try that. What method do you recommend to flatten the vegetated areas?

I've been asking for a hardware upgrade for more than a year now.

Login to Give a bone

Draw a boundary (i.e.: polyline or feature line) around the areas where vegetation appears. Then set the elevation of that boundary to the existing surface. Create a new surface for that area. You could then paste the new surface into the current surface.

As long as this new surface is further down in the definitions list of the surface, it will override the vegetative areas. Otherwise, you could paste both surfaces into a new one, again following the proper order in the definitions tab of the surface properties dialog box.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Thank you Opie. It took some fiddling, but I finally accomplished what I was trying to do.