Thread: Can't stop attribute text from mirroring

Login to Give a bone

Default Can't stop attribute text from mirroring

I work for a millwork company and we have a block for the finishes on our cabinets. They have a block with all the options we would need for a finish, like this:

Capture.PNG

If I want to mirror an elevation then all the text on my finishes mirror too. I want to fix this. I setup a simple block to play around with this but I cannot seem to get it right. I googled how to get it to work and the answers I got were to make sure the attributes were not constant and that MIRRTEXT is set to 0, which it is. But If they are not constant they don't want to display. They are not set to invisible. They have a value, so why don't they display unless they are constant, that makes no sense to me. How do I get the text to display and not mirror with the block?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't stop attribute text from mirroring

Quote Originally Posted by bergen.mathew768326 View Post
    I work for a millwork company and we have a block for the finishes on our cabinets. They have a block with all the options we would need for a finish, like this:

Capture.PNG

If I want to mirror an elevation then all the text on my finishes mirror too. I want to fix this. I setup a simple block to play around with this but I cannot seem to get it right. I googled how to get it to work and the answers I got were to make sure the attributes were not constant and that MIRRTEXT is set to 0, which it is. But If they are not constant they don't want to display. They are not set to invisible. They have a value, so why don't they display unless they are constant, that makes no sense to me. How do I get the text to display and not mirror with the block?
    I think it doesn't work for you because even though you think they are not "constant" values, you have them set in visibility states, the attributes aren't editable while in the block.
    I don't understand why you have attribute definitions in there if you can't edit them?

If it were a block with editable attributes (and not visibility states), I think it would work for you (mirroring them that is).

Attached is an example of what I'm talking about...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tedg; 2018-05-29 at 02:09 PM. Reason: added example files

Login to Give a bone

I agree with Ted. If the text is constant, just replace the attributes with text.

Also, by changing the attribute's "Constant" property from "Yes" to "No" seemed to work for me. The text did not mirror while MIRRTEXT was set to 0.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Krusable View Post

Capture.PNG

HI ,

Text in a block is going to mirror. The way to avoid this is to make the text an Attribute. If you want to have "fixed" values to choose from you might consider using multiple attributes or perhaps a Lookup.

One option to discourage users from editing the attributes is to make them Preset, and locked and then to assign each one to its own visibility state.