Thread: Using HI RES background graphics in Navisworks

Login to Give a bone

Default Using HI RES background graphics in Navisworks

I have been using Autodesk products for over 30 years, and truly appreciate their products. As a new user to AUGI and these forums, I qualify that there may be other threads on Navisworks products. Since the PRESENTER feature went away ( NW 2015 and newer ), is there a way to use HI RES graphics behind 3D CAD models. I have searched for NW 2011 thru 2015 ( legally licensed Autodesk NW products, shrink wrapped with a license key, etc ) for months now. I have two options ... find someone who can provide an answer to this question, or find a VAR or someone who can sell me a version of Naviworks 2011 - 2015. Please advise? My work if for NASA and for the DoD. This is critical for our Engineering Group. Thank you.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Using HI RES background graphics in Navisworks

Even if you do find a product "with a key", Autodesk is under no obligation to honor it outside of certain legal jurisdictions. The process gets very complicated so it's best not to try this.

I highly recommend you switch to another product which can render with an alpha channel (e.g. PNG as RGBA) and/or natively allows HDRI, such as 3DSMAX. These programs also allow for perspective matching which can be very useful in creating the high-end images you're looking for.

In the past I've done a hack by rendering with a solid background color and old-style chroma-key image editing.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Using HI RES background graphics in Navisworks

Thank you for the very insightful response. Working for the DoD, and NASA, everything has to be within the confines of our Agreement with Autodesk.
    We shall persevere! Obviously, I am not the only individual within the Autodesk community to have this issue. There are threads everywhere you look.
    PLEASE ... let's continue to have dialog? Appreciatively, Russ