Thread: Why can't I attached a base cabinet to a wall that is part of a linked revit file?

Login to Give a bone

Default Why can't I attached a base cabinet to a wall that is part of a linked revit file?

I am working on a two story project that has two separate submittals, one for the shell and one for the TI work. The shell Revit file (2017) contains all the exterior walls, first and second floor and core interior walls. This file is linked into my Revit TI file and the following issues come up:

- when I insert some cabinets, it needs a wall to select. It does not see my shell wall, why do i have to draw a new wall over the linked one to make it work?
    - some floor items do the same, looking for a slab so I have to create another floor slab to allow the items to insert.
    - I have to use room separator along the exterior so the TI room tags work. Why doesn't Revit see the linked walls?

Can anyone help me with this issue, or is the normal? I don't feel Revit has all this intelligence and it can't see linked walls or floor slabs? Is there a setting i'm missing?

A struggling BIM Manager.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Why can't I attached a base cabinet to a wall that is part of a linked revit file?

Nope, that's how it works... Once you've made all your object hosted families you realise they don't work on linked files, you have to remake or convert them to face-based families. If you google convert object to face families there are plenty of guides how to do it.

Alternatively you could copy/monitor the host wall to bring it into your project.

Good news on your room tags though, select your revit link and in the properties there is a check box for Room Bounding. That will make the room see the linked walls.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Why can't I attached a base cabinet to a wall that is part of a linked revit file?

Not sure about the linked file problem.

I personally do not like any wall hosted cabinet families (base, wall or tall cabinets). Too many times I need to pull base cabinets away from the wall to create a chase. Tall cabinets sometimes need to be moved into the center of the room and positioned back to back to create an island or peninsula condition. It's also nice to be able set wall cabinets on countertops to create a hutch type condition and move away from the wall. I struggled with wall hosted cabinets from the start.

Jim

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Monkey for the tip on converting. I'll look into that option.

Login to Give a bone

Our team of BIM Experts executes multi-story buildings with separate models. To attach the walls in a structurally linked file to the floor slab, the slab is really complicated. As a result of which, setting up a work plane to fit the wall won’t solve.

You may use a copy or monitor, but that would cause the floors to intersect when both models are synced to the central model.

You can also edit a profile of the wall, and pick a line on the linked model.

If it’s more complicated, you can simply create an in-place model, to void inside and cut the wall with the void before finishing the model.

Usually, we get floors in both architectural as well as structural models. This is because several Revit tools need a floor. Hence, it’s better to have the floors in the model. The typical Arch is accountable for the dimensions, ADA slopes, and slab locations. It makes sense to have them in the model, resolving your problem.

There are several methods to put a ‘temporary’ phase, making it the same in the creation and demolition phases.

Since schedules are done by phases, you can simply filter it out by changing the phase or placing it in the ‘existing ‘creation phase as it will not show in the schedule.

You can extract structural quantities from the structural BIM model. As a result of which, the estimating group does not search for concrete numbers in the architectural model. You can also create duplicate columns, and at times beams to design the slab edges for brick ledges.

Hence, all information may occur twice. The same thing happens with light fixtures, electrical equipment, toilets, sinks, and several other things. You can also control dimensions too that are not live in the arch model. Hence, it’s a question of communication as to which models will search for which scope. Read more on 3D Revit BIM Modeling Services.