See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Dashes in custom Linetype not behaving themselves

Login to Give a bone

Default Dashes in custom Linetype not behaving themselves

Hi All,
    It has been a while since I have customized. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this linetype? I attached an image of what it looks like and the text it is made with. Hope the image is readable. Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dashes in custom Linetype not behaving themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Gallamall View Post
    Hi All,
    It has been a while since I have customized. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this linetype? I attached an image of what it looks like and the text it is made with. Hope the image is readable. Thank you.
    Not sure I understand the LT code, the letters seem to be coded in separately?

I'm used to simply have the string of text and the offsets eat each end adjusted to accommodate them.
    Like this:
    Code:
    *DHWR, Domestic HOT Water Return  ---- DHWR ---- DHWR ---- DHWR ----
    A,1.0,-.2,["DHWR",STANDARD,S=.0800,R=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.35

Login to Give a bone

Can you post the actual contents of the linetype definition, instead of a picture of it?
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Good Idea thanks, here you are.

*DHWR,Domestic HOT Water Return______ __ __ __ ___DHWR___ __ __ __ ______
    A,.5,-0.25,0.25,-0.25,0.25,-0.25,0.25,-0.25,.5,-.15,["D",STANDARD,s=0.18,R=0.0,X=-.05,Y=-.1],-.005,["H",standard,s=.18,r=0.0,x=.15,y=-.1],-.005,["W",standard,s=.18,r=0.0,x=.35,y=-.1]-.005,["R",standard,s=.18,r=0.0,x=.55,y=-.1],-.6

Here is the DHW linetype it works fine a little different dash/spacing and without the R

*DHW,Domestic HOT Water ______ __ __ ___DHW___ __ __ ______
    A,.5,-0.25,0.25,-0.25,0.25,-.25,.5,-.15,["D",STANDARD,s=0.18,R=0.0,X=-.05,Y=-.1],-.005,["H",standard,s=.18,r=0.0,x=.15,y=-.1],-.005,["W",standard,s=.18,r=0.0,x=.35,y=-.1],-.60

I played around with some of the values with no luck and never shows the R, it seems like it should work. but Like I said, I have not worked with custom linetypes in several years, of course I don't have any of my old notes.

So... Update

*DHWR22 Domestic hot water return,---- -- -- -- ----DHWR---- -- -- -- ----
    A,.9,-.25,.25,-.25,.25,-.25,.25,-.15,["D",STANDARD,s=0.18,R=0.0,X=-.05,Y=-.1],-.01,["H",standard,s=.18,r=0.0,x=.10,y=-.1],-.01,["W",standard,s=.18,r=0.0,x=.25,y=-.1],-.01,["R",standard,s=.18,r=0.0,x=.45,y=-.1],-.65

I got this one to work. but not exactly like the original one how I wanted it with a log dash, three smaller dashes and another long dash, then the text. AutoCAD gave me an error when I had the fifth long dash and said "there must be from 2 to 12 dash/dot specifications. and also this one is using dashes instead of underscores in the string, it seems to me like I could have that additional long dash at the end and would be 12? Anyone know about the 2 to 12 dash/dot specification?
    Last edited by Gallamall; 2018-10-04 at 10:27 PM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I believe you're running into the linetype definition maximum line length of 80 characters.
    Why not:
    A,.5,-0.25,0.25,-0.25,0.25,-0.25,0.25,-0.25,.5,-.15,["DHWR",standard,s=.18,r=0.0,x=.55,y=-.1],-.6

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

More information:

About Simple Custom Linetypes
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/searc...25405-htm.html
    Under: Pattern Descriptors
    You can enter up to 12 dash-length specifications per linetype, provided they fit on one 80-character line in the LIN file. You need to include only one complete repetition of the linetype pattern defined by pattern descriptors. When the linetype is drawn, the application uses the first pattern descriptor for the starting and ending dashes. Between the starting and ending dashes, the pattern dash specifications are drawn sequentially, beginning with the second dash specification and restarting the pattern with the first dash specification when required.

It describes the A-type alignment, but the undocumented S-type alignment without the added lines on each end to fit line length is useful as well. It adjusts the lengths of each segment to fit line length instead.

Login to Give a bone

Tom, thank you so much for that info! I was able to get it right. a little bit of the line was still running through the text so I made an adjustment. and that link will be very helpful as well. Feels good to be customizing linetypes again
    Here is what I ended up with.

A,.5,-0.25,0.25,-0.25,0.25,-0.25,0.25,-0.25,.5,-.15,["DHWR",standard,s=.18,r=0.0,x=.00,y=-.1],-.8

Do you have any advice on how or where "which dialogue" to set up a linetype library for a template drawing for different drawing scales? Maybe I should make a new thread?...
    Last edited by Gallamall; 2018-10-05 at 02:50 PM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Glad you got it fixed! Had to hunt for that length specification, they need to put it in the first help link for Linetype Definitions.
    When creating them it helps me to start in a blank drawing with both LTSCALE & MSLTSCALE set to 1 so the lengths appear correctly in the drawing. Adjustments for X and Y or segment lengths can be measured with 'DIST.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Gallamall View Post
    Do you have any advice on how or where "which dialogue" to set up a linetype library for a template drawing for different drawing scales? Maybe I should make a new thread?...
    With LTSCALE, PSLTSCALE, and MSLTSCALE all set to 1 the linetypes always display the same. I haven't had the need for a template drawing for different drawing scales. We use Annotative Dimensions for the same reason. No matter what the viewport scale my Anno 0.1 Dimension Style text is 0.1 high even in Paper Space. I can remember having a huge list of Dimension Styles in all my templates before Annotative Dimensions were introduced. Simplest way is the Best!

Login to Give a bone

Great advice, Thank you!