See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Surface Properties

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Surface Properties

Under the Analysis tab,

Analysis type:

What is the difference between Contours and Elevations?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Surface Properties

The analysis tab allows one to designate the display schema for each type. The display of these types is dependent on the assigned style for the surface. If the assigned style enables the elevations to be displayed, this schema will adjust the display dependent on the elevations of each triangle or face shown. The same will occur for contours if a schema is assigned.

Another type of analysis could be user defined contour elevations. This is where that information is designated.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I get the overall concept there and you are right on my heels for the specifics of which I seek. Let me add the exact question now.

If I change analysis type from Contours to Elevations the Ranges format changes. What do the ranges affect on a surface?

It seems that I have seen Analysis type surfaces formatted as Contours used for the purpose of displaying contour lines. Analysis type formatted as Elevations used for the purpose of displaying ranges and aesthetics relative to ranges. is this an accurate assessment of the best practices of analysis types and finally,

Is the best Analysis type for displaying contour lines "Contours"?

Login to Give a bone

Are you trying to show contours in differing colors based on the elevation of said contours? Then using the analysis for contours is what you are seeking. The style assigned to the surface must have the display of contours enabled.

I have typically used the elevation banding to display these ranges. To make them more defined, I would also enable the display of contours in the same style, but would not provide an analysis of those contours.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt