Thread: FBX EXPORTED FROM NAVISWORKS DOES NOT KEEP GROUPS THAT ARE VISIBLE IN NAVISWORKS TREE

Login to Give a bone

Default FBX EXPORTED FROM NAVISWORKS DOES NOT KEEP GROUPS THAT ARE VISIBLE IN NAVISWORKS TREE

Hi,

I want to export part of the 3d model from Navisworks into FBX.

In navisworks, I have groups that have subelements.

When selecting to export visible group into fbx, actual group is not shown in fbx afterwards ( opening fbx in 3ds max). When opening fbx in 3ds max, I can only see subelements, but no main group ( no group object, no name for it).

If I would only need to export one group from Navisworks, that would be fine, I could just copy group name form navisworks and make new group for those objects in 3ds max... but I have over 10000 groups, doing in manually is impossible..

does anyone know if there is any way to keep group information that is in navisworks when exporting to fbx ?

or maybe that is 3ds max issue, that it does not read those groups, and there is another software that could read / keep groups?

Please kindly comment
    Dominik

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: FBX EXPORTED FROM NAVISWORKS DOES NOT KEEP GROUPS THAT ARE VISIBLE IN NAVISWORKS TREE

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
    Hi,

I want to export part of the 3d model from Navisworks into FBX.

In navisworks, I have groups that have subelements.

When selecting to export visible group into fbx, actual group is not shown in fbx afterwards ( opening fbx in 3ds max). When opening fbx in 3ds max, I can only see subelements, but no main group ( no group object, no name for it).

If I would only need to export one group from Navisworks, that would be fine, I could just copy group name form navisworks and make new group for those objects in 3ds max... but I have over 10000 groups, doing in manually is impossible..

does anyone know if there is any way to keep group information that is in navisworks when exporting to fbx ?

or maybe that is 3ds max issue, that it does not read those groups, and there is another software that could read / keep groups?

Please kindly comment
    Dominik
    hi,
    Create the fbx. Open the fbx file in Navisworks. If the stuff is visible in Navisworks you know the problem lies in the 3ds fbx reader. Export the fbx as dwf from Navisworks and import that into 3ds an see if that works better for you.

br
    Ulrik