Thread: Setting up a Network

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Setting up a Network

Hey all -

I'm about to launch a completely new network solution for my company, and I'd like a little feedback on network design for mixed CAD/General usage.

I'd like to implement a Server 2003 domain controller setup for the entire company, primarily so that I can launch Group Policies and have roaming accounts. However, some would lean towards a simple peer to peer workgroup in an office environment of less than 10 users such as mine. Other benefits I am developing:

1) Centralized data storage and thus centralized backup solution
    2) Ability to host a VPN for field sales units
    3) Database centralization for the development of a master database for all company information (contacts, projects, quotes, a/p, a/r, etc)
    4) Update/maintainance deployment and client sync'ing
    5) Complete Security lockdown via a shared internet connection through the server (eliminates anyone being able to get to the internet without authentication - the same for traffic from the net, in).

Essentially, what do you all run, or what would you prefer to have? I can give more detail if needed.

Thanks,
    Albert

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Setting up a Network

It does seem a bit overkill for less than 10 users.

You could probably do 90% of what your after without going to the extent you have.

Have you costed the hardware to run all that? I assume you'll be running your own mail server with spam, content and virus filtering?

Will you be implementing content filtering to ensure that no nasty web site are looked at?

Have you checked that the domain controller won't flip out with such low usage? I know you can run SAMBA as a PDC and BDC bit it's not recommended to run it as a PDC with low number of logins.

There are options available that will give you what you want but it does mean moving away form the MS way of things. You will of course need a MS Win server if you run the AutoCAD LM.

Robert Aitken

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by robert.3.aitken
    It does seem a bit overkill for less than 10 users.

You could probably do 90% of what your after without going to the extent you have.

Have you costed the hardware to run all that? I assume you'll be running your own mail server with spam, content and virus filtering?

Will you be implementing content filtering to ensure that no nasty web site are looked at?

Have you checked that the domain controller won't flip out with such low usage? I know you can run SAMBA as a PDC and BDC bit it's not recommended to run it as a PDC with low number of logins.

There are options available that will give you what you want but it does mean moving away form the MS way of things. You will of course need a MS Win server if you run the AutoCAD LM.

Robert Aitken
    Thanks for your thoughts. I am starting to think of the overkill issues, but it's not as much as might be assumed.

I'm leaving out the mail server for now, and all applicable filtering. Virus scanning will be delegated to each client, as each already have their own anti virus software seat.

Content filtering will be actually part of the Active Directory Policy, and easily managed.

I've ran a server at home for a while now with 2 logins, primarily to keep the family away from things that would require my attention later on!

Don't need CAD LM since there are only 2 seats, and only those two computers powerful enough to run them (so no roaming there). FreeBSD would probably be my Linux choice.

Maybe the way to go is to just create limited profiles on each PC client, and use just a simple file / print server for backup reasons.

Thanks for helping me think it through -
    Albert

Login to Give a bone

Have you considered Microsoft Small Business Server? I manage a network for an office of less than 20 users,we have 3-4 users coming in over a VPN and use Exchange Server and Outlook for our interoffice and Internet email communications. We also use Outlook for all out interoffice scheduling and meeting coordination.

We also have a second server that runs SQL for our implementation of Deltek Vision for all of our Business Management, Accounting, and Time sheet functions.

Veritas Backup Exec provides our Backup system with a reliable, easy to configure and manage interface and works extremely well with our SBS framework.

I have found SBS to be a cost effective solution to bring all of the power of Enterprise Networking to our small office. In fact I manage the entire network remotely over the VPN link from my home office with the Terminal Services and Remote Desktop Sharing.