Thread: Export Autocad 3D drawing into Google earth

Login to Give a bone

Default Export Autocad 3D drawing into Google earth

I need help on how to get a kml file exported into google earth to be in the correct position. When I try exporting a drawing from autocad 3D to google earth, it does not fall in the right position, and I tried all tricks that I can but no way to get it right. Please help

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Export Autocad 3D drawing into Google earth

I assume you are using AutoCAD MAP 3D, since plain AutoCAD has no provision for this. For the export to work properly your drawing has to be assigned a coordinate system (see the ADESETCRDSYS command). Then it's also critical that your geometry has coordinates that lie within that assigned coordinate system. For example if your drawing system were LL84 (not likely) the coordinates would have to be from -180,-90 to 180,90 (lat/longs).

You may have to check with the original creator of the drawing if it wasn't you, and you may have to enlist the help of a surveyor to transform your drawing. In summary, if it's assigned a system and your drawing coordinates are correct, your KML will hit correctly, otherwise there's not much chance of it.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply. I am using Autocad civil 3D. There is a function "Export KML" under Tools. It works well just that the drawing does not go in the right position. The drawing is from the Survey General Department. They assured me that in Autocad it is in the right position but then it moves away when I send it into google earth. I don't know what I am not doing right.

Login to Give a bone

Did you try the "ADESETCRDSYS" command to see if it has coordinate system assign to it? If you bring in an online map "GEOMAP" command does it some the image in the drawing correct?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dotson View Post
    I assume you are using AutoCAD MAP 3D, since plain AutoCAD has no provision for this. For the export to work properly your drawing has to be assigned a coordinate system (see the ADESETCRDSYS command). Then it's also critical that your geometry has coordinates that lie within that assigned coordinate system. For example if your drawing system were LL84 (not likely) the coordinates would have to be from -180,-90 to 180,90 (lat/longs).

You may have to check with the original creator of the drawing if it wasn't you, and you may have to enlist the help of a surveyor to transform your drawing. In summary, if it's assigned a system and your drawing coordinates are correct, your KML will hit correctly, otherwise there's not much of it.
    Can this really be done? Wow. It seems so interesting to read the way you are describing it. Is there is reference page that I can use to understand more?