Thread: Disabling OSNAPs for XREFS

Wish List Administration

Default Disabling OSNAPs for XREFS

Summary: Allow OSNAPS to easily turn off and on in XREFs.

Description: Using XREFs has changed for me because of how easy it is to find and replace files. Because I use them so much more, I would like to be able to turn XREF Osnaps off easily.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - XREF

Submitted By: tysmith75746849 on 10/30/2018

Default Re: Disabling OSNAPs for XREFS

Might not be exactly what you're after, but would being able to enable/disable OSNAPs for entities on locked layers help?

https://www.screencast.com/t/drl7Q16mHff

Disregard the last bit about the getvar/setvar error, as this was done back in 2015 (2016 version) and Autodesk has since corrected that issue.

[Edit] - I tried to upload .GIF, but when I do, it is automagically converted to .JPG which defeats the purpose (no animation), so I had to upload the video to Screencast and post a link. Grrr

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Expanding on what I had previously done (disable snap points for locked layers), to allow XREF layer snap points to also be disabled, was easier than I thought.

I had to revise the LAYLOCKOSNAPCTL custom system variable:
    Code:
    LAYLOCKOSNAPCTL

Type:		Integer
    Saved in:	Registry
    Initial value:	0

Controls object snaps for objects on locked and XREF layers:

0	Snap points for locked and XREF layers enabled (OOTB behavior)
    	1	Snap points for locked layers disabled
    	2	Snap points for XREF layers disabled
    	3	Snap points for locked and XREF layers disabled
    Yes, locking the 'nested' layers within an XREF will preclude snap points when LAYLOCKOSNAPCTL == 1, but that's also kind of cumbersome to have to do, so a simple switch case was all I needed to conditionally test for (1) LayerTableRecord.IsLocked, (2) LayerTableRecord.Name.Contains("|"), or (3) either.

This behavior is now controlled via sysvar, which makes it really easy to setup macros, LISP, etc to perform specific tasks for our daily work.

Please let me know your thoughts (anyone, not just Wish OP), so I can make any final changes and put an Autoloader App .bundle together.

Cheers
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2018-10-31 at 02:39 PM.

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    Yes, locking the 'nested' layers within an XREF will preclude snap points when LAYLOCKOSNAPCTL == 1, but that's also kind of cumbersome to have to do, so a simple switch case was all I needed to conditionally test for (1) LayerTableRecord.IsLocked, (2) LayerTableRecord.Name.Contains("|"), or (3) either.
    One exception to this that I've found, is with XREF-ed Civil 3D Pipe Networks.

I suspect it has to do with Object Layers vs Style Layers (so other AECC Objects too?), but Pipes & Structures are giving me a false reading of an AcRxObject Entity on Layer 0 (zero), instead of showing up as being a Pipe or Structure on the Object's actual Layer... Which then obeys if Layer 0 (zero) is locked, instead of as being the XREF Layer that it really is... Otherwise, this is working out quite well, particularly with SincPac's PARCELOFFSET Command in Civil 3D (yet to find an issue with vanilla AutoCAD Objects).

More information is needed.

Computer Specs:

Was there ever released for use?

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit80 View Post
    Was there ever released for use?
    Nah, you're the first person (here at AUGI) to even reply to this thread, so I wasn't sure that anyone was interested.

I've been using this since developing it back in 2016 version, as shown in the post #2 link above.

If enough folks actually want something like this, I'll publish it.

Cheers

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    Nah, you're the first person (here at AUGI) to even reply to this thread, so I wasn't sure that anyone was interested.

I've been using this since developing it back in 2016 version, as shown in the post #2 link above.

If enough folks actually want something like this, I'll publish it.

Cheers

Cheers
    Dear Mr.BlackBox

I found your comments on disabling the Xref snapping.
    I am using Autodesk Plant 3D , and very often I xref some 3d models in my 3d files.
    For example routing pipes and xref some equipment. Usually the equipment are quite complex with thousands of points to snap.
    It will be really helpful if i can disable the snap on Xref items. I have tried the method for placing the XREF in the Defpoints layer and then Freeze the 0 layer, but the snap still works on the Xrefs.
    You mentioned that you have your own variable "LAYLOCKOSNAPCTL".
    Do you think this will work for me?
    Also, do you share this variable , or I have to pay (if Yes, please let me know the price).
    Thank you in advance

BR