See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Publish To PDF Settings - Where and How?

Login to Give a bone

Default Publish To PDF Settings - Where and How?

Ok, this is probably a really basic question, but I can't seem to track down the answer.

I got tasked with cleaning up an old project around here - as-builts, close-outs, that kind of stuff. The project uses SSM, but I can't track down the settings for the "Publish To PDF" 'overrides' anywhere. When I run that option, the pages come out as half-size, and with an obviously incorrect .ctb setting. I think the age of the project, and the lack of knowledge around here about the original setup is my biggest problem.

How do I change those aspects of the "PDF Settings" - I get the one about lines overrides, quality, data, and output and naming, but I really want to set this up using the correct page size, etc. I can create a new page setup, and run a normal publish, but I want to learn how to set up the defaults as well. Where does the "Publish to PDF" draw it's settings from? I don't want to have to spend more time on this than I have to, but I also don't want to do it sloppy.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Publish To PDF Settings - Where and How?

Quote Originally Posted by magnusonzach View Post
    Ok, this is probably a really basic question, but I can't seem to track down the answer.

I got tasked with cleaning up an old project around here - as-builts, close-outs, that kind of stuff. The project uses SSM, but I can't track down the settings for the "Publish To PDF" 'overrides' anywhere. When I run that option, the pages come out as half-size, and with an obviously incorrect .ctb setting. I think the age of the project, and the lack of knowledge around here about the original setup is my biggest problem.

How do I change those aspects of the "PDF Settings" - I get the one about lines overrides, quality, data, and output and naming, but I really want to set this up using the correct page size, etc. I can create a new page setup, and run a normal publish, but I want to learn how to set up the defaults as well. Where does the "Publish to PDF" draw it's settings from? I don't want to have to spend more time on this than I have to, but I also don't want to do it sloppy.

Thanks
    The best way to force plot configurations is to use the "overrides" as you mention. It gets it's properties from your default template file that you would have set up and pathed in your SSM (see screen shot).
    You would create this master file with your desired named page setups and save it as a dwt.
    When publishing in SSM, go to: Publish > Publish Using Page Setup Override > (choose your named configuration)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

That part is working fine - the Publish with overrides, but it's the "Publish to PDF" that is not working correctly. Where are those settings? My concern is that since this was an old project, that there is some setting file that is missing somewhere.

Login to Give a bone

That part is working fine - the Publish with overrides, but it's the "Publish to PDF" that is not working correctly. Where are those settings? My concern is that since this was an old project, that there is some setting file that is missing somewhere.
    That would be one of your named page set ups in your default override .dwt file mentioned in my last post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Ok, I cleaned out the .dwt file and now there is only a single page set up in there - full size, correct pen table, looks great when I Print a single file. When I use the Right Click > Publish Using Page Settings Override > it also works just fine - correct size, correct pen table.

But - when I use the "Publish to PDF" option - it comes out half size and with the wrong pen table. That's the one that I am trying to figure out. I tried to screen shot it, but the image uploader isn't working for me, but there are two different settings, and I'm trying to figure out where it's pulling the incorrect settings from.

Login to Give a bone

Ok, I cleaned out the .dwt file and now there is only a single page set up in there - full size, correct pen table, looks great when I Print a single file. When I use the Right Click > Publish Using Page Settings Override > it also works just fine - correct size, correct pen table.

But - when I use the "Publish to PDF" option - it comes out half size and with the wrong pen table. That's the one that I am trying to figure out. I tried to screen shot it, but the image uploader isn't working for me, but there are two different settings, and I'm trying to figure out where it's pulling the incorrect settings from.
    Well I'm not sure where THOSE settings are, looking somewhere in the SSM setup I suppose, I'll get back to you on that if I find it.
    BUT, what I'm saying is... you should create a named PDF layout in the override dwt file with all the settings you want and simply choose that.
    Use the method I mentioned before by going to "publish using page setup override... " , more controllable at this point anyway IMO.

You can have many named page setups in your override .dwt file and one of mine is PDF with those settings I showed you before.

Login to Give a bone

That's what I've been doing. It surprised me however, that the two settings are not tied together.

Login to Give a bone

That's what I've been doing. It surprised me however, that the two settings are not tied together.
    Ok, found it, kind of silly that I didn't see it before.
    Go to Publish like you did before and look lower down the list, there is an option to select "Manage Page Setups" this is where you create/modify the page setups for the SSM which is what you were talking about.

Same page setup interface as before, but these settings apply to just that particular SSM (vs the override options you can grab from another file as mentioned before)

Login to Give a bone

Ok, some follow-up:

I've been using the Publish with Overrides for these (as above), and despite stripping out all other saved page setups from my .dwt file, when I used the "Publish to pdf" it was still not using the 'correct' settings. I think - based on the files I've looked at is that that (along with - I'm assuming - the publish to plotter, publish to dwf, etc) it uses the saved layout in the sheets. my sheets all have a saved 11x17 local printer set active with an old custom .ctb for a printer we don't even have anymore (hence the bad lineweights I was running into earlier).

edit:
    Follow-up to my follow-up:
    Testing has reveled that this is indeed the case - by applying the new saved page setup in the sheet, the "Publish to PDF" uses the saved (active) layout.
    Last edited by magnusonzach; 2018-12-07 at 04:29 PM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Ok, some follow-up:

I've been using the Publish with Overrides for these (as above), and despite stripping out all other saved page setups from my .dwt file, when I used the "Publish to pdf" it was still not using the 'correct' settings. I think - based on the files I've looked at is that that (along with - I'm assuming - the publish to plotter, publish to dwf, etc) it uses the saved layout in the sheets. my sheets all have a saved 11x17 local printer set active with an old custom .ctb for a printer we don't even have anymore (hence the bad lineweights I was running into earlier).
    Are you saying you haven't created a Page Setup with the correct Plot Style and Paper Size yet? I'd name it something descriptive like "PDF 24×36 named.ctb" and add more Page Setups for any other Plot Styles and Paper Sizes you may need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast