Thread: wall width definitions and wall styles

Login to Give a bone

Default wall width definitions and wall styles

I have a generic demolition wall style (DEMO VARIABLE) for walls to be demolished with the width set to zero plus base width so that I can specify any width corresponding to different existing walls conditions. I have a similar style (EXST VARIABLE) for existing walls with the same width definition. However when I change a wall from the style "EXISTING" to the style "DEMO", sometimes the wall defaults to some miscellaneous width. I could have a existing wall that is 5" wide and when I change the style to the demolition style the width may change to 8' or 12" or whatever is the flavor of the day. If I change a wall style by using the match properties tool, the same thing happens. I then have to change the width property for each wall separately. This doesn't always happen in every drawing file. Is there a variable that needs to be on/off to maintain the width of the wall as it was originally drawn?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: wall width definitions and wall styles

Are you using AutoCAD Architecture 2014? I still have access to 2014 at work, but won't be able to get to that until Monday at the earliest.

I was not able to reproduce what you describe in AutoCAD Architecture 2019, whether using MATCHPROP or the Properties palette to change the Wall Style. The width assigned to the original Wall remained. Can you attach a sample file that exhibits the behavior, indicating the Wall or Walls that are not behaving as you expect when changing the Wall Style from EXST VARIABLE to DEMO VARIABLE?

Any chance that the Walls whose width change originally had a fixed width Wall Style assigned?

Login to Give a bone

attached sample file.1673 D15 5th Floor Demo Plan.dwg The walls were not previously created with a fixed width. In this file they default to 8" width if you change the existing variable wall style to demo variable wall style. In other files that I have experienced this issue the size could be 16", or 10", or whatever.

Login to Give a bone

There were only two Exst_Variable Walls in that file, and one was already 8" wide. Changing the other one to Demo_Variable via the Properties palette or by using the Match Properties tool left the width unchanged for me. I placed a few new Exst_Variable Walls (the default width was 1'-0", but that is what my default happened to be at the time) of varying widths, and changing the style to Demo_Variable had no effect on the width.

I found this on-line Help article on using MATCHPROP on AEC objects, for ACA 2016, but there is no mention of how it would treat the width property of a variable-width Wall.
    http://help.autodesk.com/view/ARCHDE...3-1C15B04D35F9