See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Acad 2004 compatability

Login to Give a bone

Default Acad 2004 compatability

My XP PC is pretty old and subject to hacks and viruses. I would like to replace my PC with a newer one, but it has to be able to run Acad 2004.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Acad 2004 compatability

well, good luck with that. Probably not going to be easy.

Rather than futz around with a decade and a half old version of the software, you might consider trying out the free-to-use-for-any-purpose Draftsight, of the paid version Draftsight Pro.

Or explore one of the Intellicad versions, BricsCAD or Ares Commander -- all DWG compatible, and cheaper than the rental upgrade from Adesk.

Login to Give a bone

Why not buy a new computer running Win10x64 Enterprise and host your WinXPx86 image in a client Hyper-V VM?

You've got valid licenses for all of the software you have, the rest comes with the new computer... When you need AutoCAD, just fire up the VM.

[Edit] - For converting WinXP to VM, here's what you need to know about using Disk2VHD.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for your assistance. I'm thinking I may be better off to just use my XP computer as a dedicated Acad machine and get a ne computer for everything else. I'm really not very computer savvy.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ron View Post
    I'm thinking I may be better off to just use my XP computer as a dedicated Acad machine and get a ne computer for everything else.
    As long as the hardware keeps running, you should be alright. Just keep that thing off the Internet

When it does die, presuming you can not longer make use of the ACAD 2004, I second what @cadtag said and consider getting another perpetual license, of BricsCAD.
    AutoCAD is only available now as a rental, which also may be something to consider if you only use it occasionally. A one month rental is $195.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post

[Edit] - For converting WinXP to VM, here's what you need to know about using Disk2VHD.

good info, thx

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ron View Post
    Thank you for your assistance. I'm thinking I may be better off to just use my XP computer as a dedicated Acad machine and get a ne computer for everything else. I'm really not very computer savvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    good info, thx
    You're welcome, gents.

My Surveyor (VP of the firm) still uses AutoCAD 2000 + Eagle Point daily on his old WinXP box... Even after buying him a schnazzy new workstation, and replacing the legacy box's MOBO following some blown capacitors, he still preferred me to setup a double click + RDP session to his old workstation.

Porting his physical machine to a virtual machine is the only way to give him what he wants, yet mitigate continuous hardware failures, or necessary hardware components from no longer being available. The only other thing we needed was some USB port redirecting software, that let's his VM be able to communicate with the hardware data collectors, etc from the field crews.

What kills me, is his x86 CPU + 3 GB RAM can _still_ open his 2000 drawings faster than my x64 CPU + 32 GB RAM can open his 2000 drawing using 2012-2019. Haha
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    What kills me, is his x86 CPU + 3 GB RAM can _still_ open his 2000 drawings faster than my x64 CPU + 32 GB RAM can open his 2000 drawing using 2012-2019. Haha
    #BLOAT

FWIW - I have R13 (not 2013, but 1996's "R13") - running on my Win 10 box.
    It's SUPER FAST, as it should be.

R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |